Home made AR lower question

Drift

LSB Member
A while ago I made a AR lower out of a 80% AR billet. Now my 19 year old is going away to college in the fall and she wants me to build it into a 3 gun rifle for her. I have other commercial lowers I could use also..and want to keep her out of trouble. What are the legal issues?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd check with the States involved. For example, a new law (last year) in WA State does NOT permit me to loan/give/sell a firearm to another without a background check. No legal test cases to challenge this one yet... but, a PITA tossed at us (thanks to Bloomberg and his minions). Beyond that... just be in compliance with any applicable SBR regulations IF that applies.

I don't know of anything w/I the 3-gun entities' rules... but, might be worth asking whether 80% lowered equipment is sanctioned by them. "?"

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I remember correctly it is not a problem as long as it is a relative. Do not know about a weapon on campus though, most say that is a no no. If she is staying off campus then no troubles. BANG BANG!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As long as it isn't Californicated or apparently now Washington it's not an issue. California you can't give a gun to a family member like your son or daughter w/o states permission, paperwork and registering the weapon. Insane. A lot of good people out there quit hunting because it was too much trouble. They have taken away their freedoms and convinced everyone not to fight back so they just walk away and let it happen.

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A while ago I made a AR lower out of a 80% AR billet. Now my 19 year old is going away to college in the fall and she wants me to build it into a 3 gun rifle for her. I have other commercial lowers I could use also..and want to keep her out of trouble. What are the legal issues?
I would recommend looking up the ATF's rules. They talk about making firearms and under what conditions you will need to engrave it with the maker and serial number. Or if you can sale or give it to anyone.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't even mess with 80%ers, I think it is just asking for trouble even if it is "legal". I don't believe a ATF agent or cop will look at my non serlized gun and say " o you must have built that yourself, have a nice day" I think it will put me in jailhouse jewerly right away and I will have to spend thousands of dollars in legal fees to fight it.

Not worth the $20-$30 bucks savings over buying the real deal.

Not saying I don't believe in 80% lowers, I just think they are better suited for a government overthrow after guns have been taken away. Meaning storing them untouched as insurance if that ever did happen.

So to answer your question let her have the serlized lower and you will never have to worry about it legal or not.

Drift

LSB Member
Thanks. And Duh!! I never even thought about storing some away. What a good idea!..... You know, in the past I used to make beer by the gallon for my personal use. But the ATF will never find that either. ;)