Hog Duo Down

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went out for a second time to a buddy's place in Montague County. He has a few hundred acres and a nice livestock operation. Last August, he started having a problem with hogs. He already had a group of guys that deer hunt his place and they got some of the hogs and I guess they were keeping them in check, but deer season is over and the deer hunting has come to an end and the hogs have the run of the place. So I offered to help, fully expecting that I would get turned down, but he agreed.

Last week, he put me in the bottoms and I saw no hogs. This week, arrived at 3:00 and the landowner, one of the other hunters, and I all hunted at the same time. Only three feeders were still running and we were each on a different feeder. The landowner hunted the central part of the property. The other hunter set up in another bottoms area. I got placed on the top of a hill where it was very windy. I figured my chances were slim, but that somebody was likely to see hogs - team effort and all that. It was chilly, but the sun was out and I was warm for the time being. Wind was in my from the feeder, so the setup was pretty good.

Sorry for the wind noise in the video.

I got dropped off and I proceeded to pour out extra corn on the ground and noticed tracks coming in on a small trail that ran right by my tripod stand. There were also tracks coming in on a car path another 30 yards further over to my right. Unlike the previous week, at least there was good hog sign.

At 4:20, the feeder went off. At 4:31, 5 hogs showed up. That was really weird - I could see the sun and I could see hogs at the same time! I got everything up and running and while doing so, noticed the big hog nosing the air, doing his security checks. As I got on the scope and started trying for target selection, the big hog started nosing the air again and I figured that was the one to put down first. Then things started moving fast.

Going back to what TLM said about shooting the back hog (not my plan, but how it worked out), I shot the back hog and the rest of the hogs ran toward me. When you do this and the hogs are 100 yards away or more, you have some time to consider what is going on and what you need to do. The big hog was only 58 yards away and the smaller hogs were closer. They ran right by the stand at full speed and this caused me several problems.

First, they were moving by me close, fast, and below the stand's hand rail line of sight. So I was trying to pivot, tilt, and track while fighting with a chair that doesn't pivot and figuring out that to tilt down I had to rise up. Second, 3x is a bit much magnification for accelerated short range engagement. As such, one shot hit, one was low, and one was very late on the running hogs. I saw the last shot was late and never got back on the running pigs.

The first hog was a boar with very short tusks. The 123 gr. Hornady SST punched right through his neck and he was DRT. The second hog was an ugly-toothed sow with larger tusks than the boar and was hit was hit behind the shoulder. The bullet also punched right through the other side. She ran approximately 70 yards. It is impressive when you can take a stick the diameter of your little finger and insert it into the wounds and wiggle it around. That was the case with the wounds on these two hogs.

Got picked up at 7:30 pm. Early evening.

All in all, a good hunt. I didn't see anything other than tweety birds and hogs, but I was there to see hogs and had curb service transportation. What is not to like?

Picked up cookies on the way home. Angry Bird was not there. The landowner has big dogs that would eat Angry Bird.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Brian, good shooting too, those running hogs are harder to hit than Todd makes it seem! Thanks for not getting AB torn up, he will survive for another hunt! Looked like too much fun and daylight too!

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
daytime swine are the best! Good times Brian!! As Quaca would say, "you sheeeeyaaaaanked em"

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to swing the ping, B !!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Like Ping, ping, ping and Ping!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sweet! That's like a little teaser video...we want more..we want more.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice, did you run out of bullets???:) Another nice video, and did not have to stay out at night. Thanks for posting. BANG BANG!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Another nice video. "the machine that goes ping" I like that, and so true.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Had to look at it twice. By gosh he had a little bit of the Curly Shuffle going on there at the end :)!!! VERY NICE!!!!:)!!! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
he was, I meant to say that !! bang bang!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very nice Brian! Ping it up my friend!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hog, great video!

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice
you are a scary looking dude with that mask on.

Have I seen you in BR videos!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Actually, I did that for TLM, but he doesn't know it. We took a pic last October (TLM, hdfireman, Delta4-3, Mike, and me) after shooting some pigs (you were asleep). TLM pointed out everybody had their game face on but me - that I was grinning like an idiot. So I finally got around to a game face picture. You can tell that picture was taken before I shot the hogs, otherwise, I would be grinning like an idiot again.

It is just so much fun going out to get hogs. You get to practice a lot of interesting real world skills and other people benefit from you having a good time. It's hard not to smile afterwards! So I had to stage the pic.

Here it is...
40122555-738e-4e59-a854-9a33a600ee45.jpg

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keep Smiling, I love it and am the same way!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good shooting, hard to shoot them that close running and especially with them bring unpredictable how they move