Fun with a 4 wheeler....

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My Nephew bought a used 4 wheeler for his kids.
It was neglected and needed a little TLC but we got it running and everything was fine.....

Then he noticed some slack in the rear axle and brought it over for check out.
The PO had let it sit in water about a foot deep for a couple of hours while he got a tractor to pull it out and the brake drum filled up with water....and this was about 3 years ago but he forgot to tell us that part.
The drum was full of corrosion and rust and the outboard bearing and seal was shot.

After I got it apart, it took ALL 20 tons to get the bearing out......
trx1.jpg

I pressed the drum back on the axle and chucked it in my lathe and cleaned up the outside of the drum after I made sure the axle was straight....
trx2.jpg

A few light drags on the inside of the drum with a right hand cutter to clean up the rust and crud and it's ready for the bead blaster for final clean up.
trx3.jpg

A few hours later, after all the bead blasting and clean up, about 50.00 worth of bearings, seals, new brake shoes, and a gear oil change in the rear end, the kids are back to tearing up my Nephews yard......LOL!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tools and knowledge is all it takes..I have neither

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I need a lathe and Bridgeport for my shop at home, just so many things you can do with them!

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah, tools make tough jobs easier.
That poor old South Bend lathe was already 15 years old when I was born....so she's only about 75 now and still pretty true.
I've cut quite a few barrels and recrowned them with it.
And the flat belt drives are very forgiving!!

There is an old Bridgeport step-pulley mill hiding back there behind the Zcar and Karmann Ghia 'vert.....

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
wanna fix my suburban?! :D

Man, between all stuff I have to keep up around here, I barely have time to shoot a pig the last few weeks!

Welcome aboard My Friend!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gotta keep 'dem kids MO-bile. LOL

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you have a Karmann Ghia, you got your work cut out for you keeping that thing running!

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you have a Karmann Ghia, you got your work cut out for you keeping that thing running!

Nah....piece of cake.
Everything is manual and I can work on manual without hooking up a computer to it!
It's more like putting together an AR than writing a program to solve the worlds problems....LOL!!!
It's also 12V so that helps too.
67ghia01.jpg

coondog

LSB Member
Man the lathe I play with is old. Maybe made around the 50s. Your lathe was probably used to make some of the parts for mine. lol

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
One day I will have a lathe a mill. Heck I've been running manual machines for 10 years and programming CNC mills and lathes for six. I have another 10 years until military retirement time and I hope to have a machine shop/gun smith type business going when I'm out. I have so much more to learn though.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's a beautiful car! Is it still a positively grounded chassis?

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's a beautiful car! Is it still a positively grounded chassis?

Thank you!
I looked for a 67 'vert for 16 years.
Found this one in Austin, almost right under my nose.
And it is a one owner 40K mile car!
She's been mine since 1990.

It's mostly original, only missing a few pieces of chrome.
I have another 67 coupe as a donor car as there are a lot of one year only parts.
1967 was the first year for 12V and is it standard negative ground so regular radios and gauges work.

As for machining, I am a self taught amateur!
I have an excellent mentor to ask when I get stuck so I'm not completely lost.
I generally make about 50/50 usable parts if I make it from scratch...LOL!
Simple stuff like cleaning a brake drum and checking the axle to see if it's straight is pretty easy stuff!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Oh that's very cool! I know just a enough about KGs and other VWs to know there needs to be a lot of love for a car to own one.