For those who purchased used thermals

LSB Active Member
Are there any questions you can ask to probe problem areas with a thermal scope? I'm asking b/c I will probably have to consider this route no matter what happens b/c the price on the lease is just scary now and what I had put aside for thermal just vanished like a cow fart in 20 mph winds. I don't need anything fancy like DVR, recording etc simply something that gets me outside the 100-ish yards I get with my greenie. It may be that I go NV too. Just wanted to learn from those who went used and if they are happy downstream. Thanks

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I've had 2 used thermals and 7 new ones. Had a problem with one of the used ones, and IRD MK2, 35mm, 640. The display kept growing dead pixels, sent it back, they fixed it (probably new display) and it is 100% fine now (warranty repair).
Had 4 problems with new ones, send those back, repairs made and fine afterwards. In the steady state, you will have issues and you will need to rely on the manufacturers CS process to help you. I have experience with Armasight, IRD and ATN. Armasight and IRD are fine, ATN is rather hostile, but they will help if you twist their arms. No experience yet with Pulsar. Haven't had an issue yet.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Since May 2014 for thermal. Some of these thermals I only had for a few weeks or months ... working with dealers that are flexible with trades and returns and such. But gave me a wider experience base.
At any point in time haven't had more than 5 ... right now only have three ... working on getting back up to 5. :)

Last edited:

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Asking for video, asking for through ocular lens video or still.
Asking if any issues with controls, on/off switch, etc.
Asking about battery life.
Asking about focus
Asking about mount
Asking about accessories
Understanding warranty, both "on paper" and "in reality".
Armasight, Pulsar, ATN I know all say original owner only. Armasight and IRD have done warranty repairs for me. IRD on the phone, says they will always fix my IRD crap. Of course, legally that means nothing, but it is good to hear. ATN has never done a warranty repair for me. And I haven't had a chance to test pulsar, haven't had a warranty repair issue yet.
I'd like to hear more about people's customer service/warranty repair experiences also.

LSB Active Member
Thanks that is great stuff for me moving forward. The more I think about it I could always dump my 308AR there are a couple of guys on the lease about to buy one like mine and then I just run a trusty bolt action in the stable. I'd rather have bolt/thermal than semi-auto/greenie.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Save up and get the new XQ 38 from Pulsar for $2500 if that's what they retail for, you might be able to find a dealer that will work or a good deal for you. Cliff at ThirdCoastThermal "Bigreddog" on here has been great to me.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Haha, when I mentioned above "dealers who are flexible with trades and returns" ... that would be ******** !!!
:)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I started with a used $300 atn x sight digital and it will serve you fine till you save for a thermal.

Found them here used
Security Check Required

znztivguy

LSB Member
The newer generation stuff is a great improvement in buffering and quality. I doubt if they'll fail as easy as the earlier ones did.
That being said I've tried some of the ones the military uses (contract work) and they are built like brick #$#$% houses. Even the older ones in the review made here by the kind folk of Lonestarboars will work well.

znztivguy

LSB Member
I've only had used.....really can't afford new......

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

LSB Active Member
I've only had used.....really can't afford new......
I bought one of the Pulsar RXQ30's and absolutely love it. It's a no frills stripped down thermal, but if you are just into hunting and getting rid of predators it will help you do that in spades. I'm also finding it's an outstanding deer recon tool already picked a new spot having seen a big buck's bedding area 3x now.....'i see you!'.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
sooner or later I will get one that RXQ for $1600 was almost the deal for me.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
off their website, 3 years and non transferable have to warranty it in 30 days after purchase: nothing matters but what it written down.

Your Pulsar product is covered by a 3 year warranty on mechanical parts (eye piece, lenses, adjustment knobs and on/off switch), laser diodes, LEDs, night vision intensifier tubes, digital CCD chips, CMOS chips, thermal cores, LCD and OLED displays.

In the event of a defect under this warranty, we will, at our option, repair or replace the product. This warranty does not cover damages caused by misuse or improper handling. Also, this warranty is null and void if modification or maintenance is provided by someone other than Pulsar. This warranty is non-transferable and is only valid if the product is registered within 30 days after the product has been purchased.

topwater

off their website, 3 years and non transferable have to warranty it in 30 days after purchase: nothing matters but what it written down.

Your Pulsar product is covered by a 3 year warranty on mechanical parts (eye piece, lenses, adjustment knobs and on/off switch), laser diodes, LEDs, night vision intensifier tubes, digital CCD chips, CMOS chips, thermal cores, LCD and OLED displays.

In the event of a defect under this warranty, we will, at our option, repair or replace the product. This warranty does not cover damages caused by misuse or improper handling. Also, this warranty is null and void if modification or maintenance is provided by someone other than Pulsar. This warranty is non-transferable and is only valid if the product is registered within 30 days after the product has been purchased.

I'm well aware of what their website says. I'm telling you what their customer service department has told me when I was returning defective products that I bought second-hand. They don't care.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well they are treating you right but that is not their policy and you cannot count on it either.