Easy Pork Sweet &Sour in the Crockpot

Drift

LSB Member
Here is how I do it.
(1) If the hog smells bad on the inside, I brine it; otherwise I don't bother.
(2) Just about any of the hogs meat will work. I've done backstrap ribs and hams this way.
(3) Put meat in crock pot. Cover with (non diet) Orange Soda. Cook all day (6 hrs) in crock pot.
(4) If I am home I change out the orange soda every 2 hrs.
(5) Serve over rice.
The meat comes out moist, tangy and sweet. If it was a tough old hog I cook longer of course.
(When my daughter was 16 y/o she had a boy over for supper. we used this recipe. He bit into bullet
fragment and asked what it was. I showed him my hunting rig. I have not seen him since! :) )

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds pretty tasty.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That sounds good. I'm going to try that out on some friends at work.

Galveston340

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
...sounds good. I had tried to save a Sour Orange tree down in our orchard to use just for cooking, but alas my younger brother was on a roll and took the chainsaw to it. I think that sour orange with a little brown sugar or some Turbinado sugar would work like a boss on this recipe.

chthump

LSB Member
Whats the difference between changing/not changing the soda out every 2 hours. I like the recipe, just picking your brain. Also, have you ever added (what I think of as the basics), garlic, onion, seasoning salt, paprika?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My guess, just adds more sugar and orange flavor?

Drift

LSB Member
I think that whatever evil chemical it is in a can of Coke that cleans the rust off metal is in Orange Soda also. I further believe that after a couple of hours in the hot crockpot , that chemical is used up. So I change it out if I can.
I think I have added Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce to good effect. Have also used honey brown sugar with cider viniger and of course hot sauce as variations. Sliced apples and pineapple come to mind also.
Most of the time the hogs I shoot are around #120, so my crockpot is a little small for ribs, still I have (1) cut them into 4 rib stacks (2) stacked the ribs in the crockpot all day cooking (3) took them out and smoked over apple wood. And they were good.