Chili...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This one's STUPID simple for when you don't have much time. It's pretty tasty too.

I use my pressure cooker, it has a sauté feature as well as the pressure cooking mode.

Sauté mode: 1 1/2 lbs. of ground beef with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Shake in half a dozen splashes of Tabasco Chipotle sauce, half a dozen splashes of jalapeño sauce, and one generous drop of Dave's Insanity hot sauce.

With the heat off, add 7 cups of water, and one small can of tomato paste, mix until the paste is diluted .

Add one package of "Bear Creek" chili starter (dehydrated).

Seal the pressure cooker and cook for 20 mins. Release pressure.

Serve with garnish of Chopped fresh onion, chopped fresh jalapeño, sour cream and shredded cheese.

I've tried two other "from scratch" recipes, and wasn't impressed at all. I return to this one while I search/try other recipes.

th

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That sounds good, but I have never seen Bear Creek Chili Starter down here in the swamp.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
People from LA know what chili is?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That sounds good, but I have never seen Bear Creek Chili Starter down here in the swamp.
That's why I gave the brand, and a pic so you could find some online. A quick/dirty meal for camping or just in a hurry. Ain't bad.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Oh hell no! I make my own from scratch and put up small batches for a quick meal. If it works for you great.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh hell no! I make my own from scratch and put up small batches for a quick meal. If it works for you great.
I'm searching out a good "from scratch recipe", until I get there, this beats "from a can".

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
^^^^^ This, AND instead of beef - use some tasty whitetail or hog you harvested and in your freezer!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
^^^^^ This, AND instead of beef - use some tasty whitetail or hog you harvested and in your freezer!
Got no 4-legged hogs in Seattle, no whitetail either. So... use what's available to me. When I lived in Alaska, moose and caribou were in my freezer.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sounds like Rat needs a care package.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm searching out a good "from scratch recipe", until I get there, this beats "from a can".
I have one that I has won a couple of cook offs here in Texas. I'll try to find it in all of my moving boxes and post it on the recipe section for all.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now yer talkin' ! Would enjoy trying someone's recipe. Thank you.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My wife uses the recipe on "Mexene" chili powder box. It makes a great "scratch" chili with whatever meat you add. You can adjust the heat to taste.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Mine is a combo of story bought chili mix and then I dressed it up A LOT. It works with all types of meat.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bush's baked beans used to have a can of what was called "chili magic". Add that to your meat tomato sauce/paste and whatever else...but I haven't seen the stuff in a long time.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
true that

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine is a combo of story bought chili mix and then I dressed it up A LOT. It works with all types of meat.
LOL.. I've been waiting to see whether anyone else has picked up on this. I start with a mix, and am making changes to it, and I get a "oh HELL no!" Am I seeing mention of your "from scratch" award winner, starting with a store bought mix too? LOL... where's my sharp/pointy metal thing?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LOL.. I've been waiting to see whether anyone else has picked up on this. I start with a mix, and am making changes to it, and I get a "oh HELL no!" Am I seeing mention of your "from scratch" award winner, starting with a store bought mix too? LOL... where's my sharp/pointy metal thing?
Hey, I was just being honest. I was wondering how long this was gonna take. I will be away from internet until Saturday. Shoot me a PM and I WILL find the recipe and post it. I forgot. To many beers at the Meet and Greet.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think BRD has had my chili. He calls it colon cleanser or something like that. LOL

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's ok, starting Saturday I'll be out in the sticks chasing the ghost of the forests.