Baffle strikes

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well son of a gun. I am getting baffle strikes suddenly in my Glock 17 / SWR Trident / Lone Wolf barrel combo.

I'll have to check my paperwork but I am certain I've had this silencer working flawlessly for at least five years now?

My silencer was originally manufactured as non user serviceable but I sent it to a different company who did the jailbreak service so I could press out the baffle stack and clean them myself. I have not cleaned it in quite some time and hope that's all that is needed to solve the problem. There is a significant amount of build up on the first baffle in front of the booster.

Does anyone have any suggestion on anything else I should look at that could be worn out and suddenly causing a baffle strike.

I've also got an octane 9 that's currently set up for 3-lug. Of course It's just as dirty as the Trident is and it's a major pain in the butt to clean the booster area enough to swap 3-lug for booster when dirty like this.

It would be nice if I could test that nothing has gotten damaged on the end of my barrel by using another suppressor.

Apart from testing the barrel, does anyone have any suggestion of anything else I should consider ?

Thank you very much.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ok. I pressed out the baffles and saw that the first regular baffle had a sharp edged bit of copper jacket embedded in the small diameter end that was likely causing the issue. Actually it looked like it was several bits that built up in that location. I hope it was just a bad round that begun this and not something else? No baffles appear to be damaged, so I've got that going for me.

If this doesn't solve the problem I would still appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only thing I can think of is to clean it or send it in for warranty work. Hope it works out for you.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I think I solved it. Woke up and thought that I should check the booster too. The piston that threads directly to barrel had carbon build-up just past end of threads. Build up was a ring of carbon that was closing in the inside diameter of the piston by a significant amount. Approaching 1/8". YIKES!!

Best I could tell, it was cutting bits of jacket off but luckily nothing solid was hitting the baffles. Will know for sure tomorrow.

Moral: even though your booster is operating correctly. Check your piston periodically.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hope cleaning the carbon ring fixes it. Clean everything you can. Remove the barrel from the pistol. Install the suppressor to the barrel. Look through the bore worth the muscle punted towards a light source. Look for anything that protrudes into the circle of the bore. Baffles, carbon, etc. Nothing should look out of place.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The ring in the piston must have been it. Just fired off an accurate magazine to test. I was concerned that a component in the booster or something could have worn out.

Thanks.

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FYI you should clean pistol silencers about every 500 rounds. More if you are shooting cast lead.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
FYI you should clean pistol silencers about every 500 rounds. More if you are shooting cast lead.
Thanks. I don't think I have ever cleaned the inside of that piston before now? Overnight with my stainless steel pin wet tumbler does a great job on cleaning the baffles and the piston.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Also could the modification that was made have caused your issue?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was thinking after the mod maybe things were not lined up or were able to move enough to get strikes?

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was thinking after the mod maybe things were not lined up or were able to move enough to get strikes?
I don't think so because it worked perfectly for thousands of rounds.

All they did was cut the endcap off and supplied a pusher tool.

Thanks.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
All the baffles looked like they were shot peened with jacket bits along the leading edge. Some of them are worse than others and I should've taken a picture.

It's amazing the bullet even made it through the whole baffle stack without any damage!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well sounds like you have it fixed now, lesson learned!