Arkansas Double

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Arkansas archery double. Not a trophy by P&Y standards but a trophy to me. I get to hunt my dad's neighbors cattle farm in the Ozark mountains. It is not managed for deer one bit. No bait, no food plots, no stands. I walk in, scout for a day, hang stands, and hunt. Then I move stands to get closer to the action. Typically I get to take 2 weeks of leave to do this and it is awesome.

The doe was an easy 18 yard slightly quartering to shot. She ran 50 yards after the 2 blade rage sliced her lungs.

The Buck came in 20 minutes later and was on alert. He offered an easy 32 yard quartering away shot and I took it but he jumped the string. He spun about 75 degrees away from me and the arrow entered just in front of his right rear ham. This all sounds bad, but with a 65 pound bow flinging a 425 grain arrow at 255 fps and tipped with a 2" -2 blade rage broadhead it did its job. The blades came to rest in his vitals and he expired after a roughly 300 yard run.

This is the second longest blood trail I have had to follow. I did it foot by foot with my headlamp and no one to help.

The work that I put into these archery hunts is what makes this guy a trophy. Heck, even the doe is trophy when I'm grilling soy sauce marinated backstrap rolls stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in Bacon. The smell of grilled deer helps me relive the hunt. Thanks for reading my babble.

If gun hunting doesn't get your heart rate up anymore try archery. There is something about hiding in plain sight and taking your game when it is in spitting distance. 20131107_213221.jpg 20131107_213229.jpg

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is great, it is stories and pics like this that make a forum great. Good job on the archery kills, the no plots/bait is the true test of your skills!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I had a pre-hunt Reese's today.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Deer like peanut butter

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn fine adventure ! I'm a big fan of spooky sharp "cut on contact" 2-blade broadheads.

tech96

TEXAS
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice. I went out day after Thanksgiving and didn't see anything. Doe were shootable 11/28-12/1.

MD1005

North east FL
Nice man. I killed one doe with my bow this season. Lots of roadblocks this year.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It can be tough to get one with a bow. I'm happy with any legal deer when I'm bow hunting.

MD1005

North east FL
Yeah man. I was happy with her. Food on the table. Didn't get out as much this year. I had another one jump the string hard and I barely knicked her across the back. She's still running around over there. I will happily gun hunt deer, but it really is hard to beat bow hunting them.