Any experience using 7.62x39 Brown Bear 125gr Soft Points on Hogs?

Brazos_Jack

Has anyone here used 7.62x39 Brown/Silver/Golden Bear 125 grain soft points on hogs.

Do the hogs you hit run very far?

Are you getting exit wounts?

Do the exit wounds indicate ezpansion, or are entrance and exit wounds the same size?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Don’t have any experience yet, but I have a couple hundred to try as soon as I can get back after them. I’m getting right at 1moa with the Brown Bear.

Brazos_Jack

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I've been shooting all the 122gr to 125gr soft points and hollow points from Barnaul (the Bears), Tula, and Vympel (Golden Tiger). But I too have only shot paper with these.

I'm hoping someone who has actually killed some hogs with some of these will chime in.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
soft points should be good to go, the hollow points do not act like American ammo HP

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Not too many members use the x39 as the primary hog gun. “437” from over around Tampa is one exception. He started using an x39 last fall and did very well with it using the Wolf 123 gr soft point. He got a case from Sportsman’s Guide dirt cheap with free shipping. Since then, they haven’t been in stock. Go figure. He hasn’t been on the forum very often lately. I think Mel Glass is another who uses the x39. He should chime in on what he shoots.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use a X39 10.5" side charger in an AR pistol and always use the Hornady 123SST as a hunting rd. S&B has a brass 123 SP that is very good too.100_0378.JPG

Mel Glass

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Not too many members use the x39 as the primary hog gun. “437” from over around Tampa is one exception. He started using an x39 last fall and did very well with it using the Wolf 123 gr soft point. He got a case from Sportsman’s Guide dirt cheap with free shipping. Since then, they haven’t been in stock. Go figure. He hasn’t been on the forum very often lately. I think Mel Glass is another who uses the x39. He should chime in on what he shoots.
I have shot a pile with SSTs, 8M3s and 10-15 with Wolf 125sp. All have worked great but a perform a little different. The SST probably has a very slight edge but the cost is getting up to around the same as brass cased in other calibers that will out perform the 7.62 so I tried the others out this year. My case of Wolf is softer than the other two loads with only 2 exits of the hogs I have killed but good damage and seems to drop them pretty good. 8M3s are harder but seem to expand good. Have only had 3-4 out of all the hogs shot with them not exit. Smashes shoulders nicely even on the bigger hogs. Have killed 20+ hogs over 190lb up to 284lb the biggest between the three loads. I love the 7.62x39 for the hunting we do because I don’t mind slinging a few extra rounds at them because of the cost and don’t have to worry about a brass catcher.