90gr gold dot bullets

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are all out, were only available for a short time and were snapped up. Try the 6.8 forum as the only way to buy is from someone who bought them. These are pulled bullets and have not been released for commercial sale as of yet.

OH and glad to see you made it here!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You bet Ron...

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep if you find any loaded or pulled you have to jump on them quick. They sell super fast.

You may want to put up a WTB post maybe someone will release some of their supply.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah don't do that on 6.8 till you have 50 posts...LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was going to suggest the 85 or 95 TSX/TTSX, excellent bullets.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
They are not normally produced as a component bullet. Rock Mountain Reloading got a batch of factory second or pull downs from Federal. You probably won't find them anywhere else for a while. At least until Federal screws up a large batch of ammo again. However, you can find factory loaded Federal 90 grian gold dot for sale some places. Good luck.

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"Has anyone tried the 85 grain Barnes tsx on hogs?"

When I first got my 6.8 the 85 gr Barnes load from SSA was all I used. Killed quite a few with them. One was real close to 300lbs. They are good as long as you keep the shots under 200 yards. I now use the 120 SST.

1911junky

"Has anyone tried the 85 grain Barnes tsx on hogs?"

When I first got my 6.8 the 85 gr Barnes load from SSA was all I used. Killed quite a few with them. One was real close to 300lbs. They are good as long as you keep the shots under 200 yards. I now use the 120 SST.
Perfect!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
May I please ask..........what happens to the bullet or it's intended victim if the range is >200yds ??????

I start them out at just over 3100fps from a 18" AR/Bison using H4198 and the load has shown great accuracy. --- pruhdlr

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
at 200 yds they drop to the ground ineffective, the 6.8 is not made to shoot over 200yds.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Damn right !! In fact there is a WARNING on the boxes of the bullets that reads....." WARNING....this bullet will not travel over the intended distance of 200yds. It is expressly designed for the close range shots only. This info will immediately be transmitted to all coyotes,hogs,and deer in ALL 50 states and Puerto Rico." --- pruhdlr

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 85 gr TSX was designed for 270 velocities. Its expansion out of a 16" 6.8 gets questionable after a couple hundred yards. The 95 TTSX will expand better at longer ranges as will the 120 gr SST. I missed the warning on my box from SSA. lol

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
BB, well it is good to know they don't just drop out of the air! Just ribbing you, the guys who have no idea what they are talking about always say the 6.8 is useless after 200 yds so I was going w that!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My 85gr when started out at 3115fps is still doing 2358fps @ 200yds. I have never killed any deer or hogs at that distance so I do not have any first hand knowledge of the terminal ballistics. However I did manage to take a 30lb coyote with this combo before I had my thermal mounted. He was looking almost directly at me and I hit him a little off to the right side of his chest. The bullet did not exit. This tells me that the bullet did manage to expand to some degree.

Barnes makes six different "no lead" bullets of the .277" variety that are <111grs. Why would they make bullets as light as 85grs for the 270Win ?? I have never heard that the 85gr bullets were expressly made for the 270Win. --- pruhdlr

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Personally.......I will never intentionally target a deers neck at a distance of 285yds.

The 85gr kills that I have made on both deer and hogs were a complete pass thru. My main reason for using bullets of the solid copper makeup is I do not like jacket separation. Same reason that I use hardcast lead with a wide meplate when loading my 444Marlin,454Casull,45-70,and 500S&W. I believe that even at speeds LOWER than the manufacturer states as "nominal" for their product,the bullet will still be effective.

Reloaders constantly load bullets of most any caliber,for most every chambering,at lower or higher speeds than the manufacturer designates as "nominal". Especially with the vast difference in the bbl twist rates of today. And ......... the rotational velocity as well as the forward velocity of a bullet will directly effect it's terminal performance. So will its intended target. All of these things are out of the direct control of the bullet maker. The bullet makers will tell you the bullets intended twist rate for bullet STABILITY .... NOT for terminal performance. This is one reason that I am a true believer in fast twist bbls just as long as you are a responsible reloader.

PLUS.....a bullet manufacturer has to come up with a high and a low speed for the "best" performance of their bullets. They do exhaustive tests of their line of bullets......BUT.....if they state that the bullets terminal performance will be best at between 2200 and 3000fps they never say what their test results were at speeds over and under the listed speed.

Remembering back in the day of the Hornady .224" 50gr SX bullets. When they came out they stated that you should not use these in the "fast" twist bbls of the Ruger Mini-14 (1:10). That was BS. I have launched these bullets out of a 1:7 twist bbl at 3300fps (AR). They were devastating on coyotes and woodchucks. --- pruhdlr

Last edited: