90gr gold dot bullets

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM and guys. That is all I have benn shootingsince they came out. They were part of a HUGE contract with LWRC, Fed and Pmag for the newly designed LWRC weapon. The contract is/was for the Saudi prince protective detail and the Jordanians. In the vicinity of 100 Million. The round is reviewed on the LWRC site and is compared to the 95 TTSX. I have had great results with whatever I have hit. The review on the site goes into everything. A number of different agencies are also switching to the round. I shoot only factory ammo, and have about 500 rounds of that ammo. Currently have an order in for 1K more rounds. Most of my shooting is from a 12.5 SBR, that is suppressed. Great results and no malfunctions.

Brings me to one other point. If you are shooting suppressed then the bolt group must be cleaned and I do clean mine after about evert other hunt unless I fire no rounds. There is a good deal of blow back with suppressed SBR weapons and the bolt group will get gummed up. Takes 5 minutes, why take the chance. Most of the go fast guys overseas wipe their BCG every time it gets dirty or dusty.

http://forum.lwrci.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14236

http://forum.lwrci.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14228

Last edited:

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the info Jim!! Now I kinda wish I would have bought some of those pulled bullets :(

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I wish they were the 115's but I will have a few hundred loaded to use the next time I go hunting with Alex!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
quote_icon.png
HTR
As I get older, I shy away from the term "better" when comparing such things. The 90 GD held a surprising amount of its weight, given its relatively inexpensive construction. ATK seems to have produced a truly "bonded" bullet. In the presentation I gave to CTTSO / TSWG, I showed that the lead held to the copper even when it was extruded out along the petals....impressive.

These 90 GD bullets were recovered from hog carcasses. Most of them penetrated through two carcasses, when fired out to 200 yards. The velocities were from 2450 to 2860 left to right.

copyright, Wild River Ranch. LLc, all rights reserved

The Gold dot holds weight a little better than the Accubond. It was designed primarily for a very short barrel, but I've fired plenty of them in 16 and 20 inch barrels and they still expand reliably and hold lots of that weight. You can see above, that when I fired them near 2900 FPS, they lost more weight and uniformity in the expansion. The three bullets have different properties, so one of them may work better than the other two, for others.

The TSX is the toughest bullet, holding most of its weight, but the compromise is that its LOVT (low opening speed) is going to be higher and may not expand quite as reliably on softer target substrate. Its a very easy bullet to load, and its produced some of my most accurate loads in 6.8. Its seems to kill both deer and hogs very effectively.

The 90 GD holds most of its weight, despite being a "industrial / blue collar" looking bullet. Its got no fancy ballistic tip, and its short and stubby. The flat meplat gives it a good sized cavity which is filled with lead. I must admit I was surprised to see that the expansion was quite similar to that of the TSX, so the design of the cavity and the skiving seem to make it deform like a pinwheel with great regularity. It left a wound very similar to that of the 85 TSX / 95 TTSX, and to that of the Accubond as well. It is an excellent all-around bullet, which seems to cover lots of bases and do lots of things well.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I loaded them using 28.9gr of RE7. Seemed to be the preferred load for the 90 gr TNT.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm going to give AA2200 a shot. Its too much of a hassle for me to get other powders. All this PO dunk town stocks is imr 4350 and h4895.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Haha. They have them. Along with fff powder and Flint strikers.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
TLM, you are on the right track with that bullet I think. Your max load should be right around 29.7-30gr of RL7. Depends on the rifle though so work up to it slowly!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Copied from the 6.8 forums.

"AA2200 is the powder for this bullet. I tried RL-7 but the groups at 50 yards (indoors) were all over 1/2 inch, some up to 1 inch.

The 30.5 grain charge is the approximate best one so far. I'm going to spread that range to 30.3 to 30.7 to see which is best. I was getting 1/2 inch or less at 50 yards with the 30.5 grain charge weight.

Load: SSA brass, Remington 7 1/2 BR primer, C.O.A.L. of 2.29 (some up to 2.295 because the soft lead tip introduces quite a bit of variation).
Gun: ************** SAM-R 18" stainless PacNor match barrel with DMR chamber.

Daniel"

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I only got about 20 of them, but they shot pretty well for me at 29.6gr of RL7. ~7/8" groups. I don't recall speed off the top of my head.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I loaded some with the RE7 and the AA2200 will test them next week.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I watched a LWRC video on the XM68GD shooting a sbr and a 16" rifle the SBR lost almost 500fps wow.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
50 yards using car door as a rest. They are close enough to the 120gr that I won't have to re zero for hogs.

Top right group is my normal 120sst load.

Bottom right is 30.5 gr aa2200 with 90gr gold dot.

Center is 28.8 gr RE7 with the gold dot.

image.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That will work!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I used 30.5 grains of aa2200, cci 450, fed brass, oal of 2.29-2.295 because of lead tips. Poi/poa is the same as my 120 sst loads at 50 yards. Groups were .5". No pressure signs at all and feel I could push these little guys faster. No Chronograph though.

Out of 1000 bullets I had 4 115 grain bullets and 3 90 grain bullets with messed up bases. I didn't count the total in the bag. Going to see what they do to pigs this weekend.

1911junky

Anyone know who currently has some of these in stock? I tried the link Texaslawman posted but could not find them? I'm working on setting up some reloads for my 7.5" 6.8 pistol and looks like these will probably be my best option.