6.8 and thermal recoil

Senko

When running a REAP-IR thermal on a 5.56 AR, the recoil is minimal enough that you can look through the shuttered eye cup when shooting. Alternatively when I put the REAP on my .308 AR, recoil is significant enough to warrant removing the shuttered eye cup and just looking through the screen (at least for me, maybe I'm soft).

I prefer using the shuttered eye cup. I have not shot a 6.8. For those with experience, are you able to retain shuttered eye cup when shooting 6.8 AR or do you remove it? I know there are variables on recoil etc. so if this is not an easy answer, disregard. Thanks in advance

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Never used the shuttered eye cup that came on my older ThOR. I put Butler Creek scope caps on my unit when it was new.
My unit has been on my 10.5" 6.8SPC,my 18" 6.8SPCII,shooting a 85gr at 3100,and briefly on my RARR chambered in 300BLK.
IMO any and all thermals should be able to handle the recoil inertia of a 6.8SPC . . . no matter the weapons weight. --- pruhdlrSANY0065.JPG

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I believe you should be ok running the eyecup on the 6.8. Recoil isn't that much more.

I personally don't use the eyecups

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use the eye cup on my zeus/6.8 and it's not a problem. I am running suppressed so that helps even more