Which bullet is better for hogs?

whitehotmist

LSB Member
For a 1 in 8 twist .223, I've got about 10 of the 70gr TSX left, so will use those first... but for hogs say within 100yds, 50-150lb hog, which bullet would be better, the 65gr Sierra Spitzer GK (#1395), or 70gr Speer semi-spitzer(#1053)? Or are they about equal?

Also have Hornady 60gr V-max (#22281), 75gr Match (#2279), and 77gr Nosler Custom Comp (#22421), but figure those wouldn't be as good as the ones above?

Thanks!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not the Vmax.
Take the 70 grain tsx to the range and make sure they will stabilize in your 1/8 barrel. They wouldn't in my 1/9. But they do in 1/7 twist. If u aren't getting key holes and they group nicely I would say those are a good choice.
62 grain tsx would be my next option for that set up.
I think they also make a 64 grain federal fusion and 64 grain Winchester razor back or something like that for hogs. And a 60something grain cor-bon I've heard good things about? I'm sure others will chime in also

whitehotmist

LSB Member
Yeah, the TSX's stabilize just fine, and I get a decent group so those are my first choice while they last. I was just wondering as my second choice (guess I forgot to say second choice in my original post) should I go with the 70gr Speer, or the 65gr Sierra. Those are all the ones I have on hand.. and I have WAY too many on hand... so don't want to buy more just yet. Thinking the 65gr Sierra might be best. Going to load some up with TAC and see what happens.

Lrtx1

LSB Member
I run the 65gr Sierra Gameking soft points and have had good results. I think the bullet does what it supposed to, Ive had a few run off, dropped a lot in their tracks but, like any bullet, shot placement is key.

Only problem I have with them is the top round in the magazine that gets chambered and ejected multiple times gets beat up bad because the point is so soft. It could be just as much my rifle as the round.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I killed about 16 hogs in one sitting last year with the 65 grain GameKings. they did really good.
Ive used 75gr PPU Match, 77gr SMK, 77gr NCC, 65gr GMK, 52gr Amax, 50gr NBT's on hogs out of a 16". One of the larger hogs i shot running away with one of the 50gr NBTs and some how lucked up and busted him in the neck and dropped him in his tracks. Bullet hit the spine and shattered it.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've hasd good luck shooting the 65gr game kings. Although I've been using Varget. I need to work up a load using TAC to save my Varget for Prairie dog shooting.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have used the Noslers partition bullet in my .223 with good success. It was 60 something grain I cannot remember exactly. Have not shot it since I went 68

ScottJ

LSB Member
Maybe I'm the only person who doesn't like the 65 gamekings for pigs. Seems like the 200+ lb ones it doesn't do all that great. My DelTon is a 16" 1-9" twist. I had a lot of GameKings loaded up for last hunt and got lots of shots on pigs. I could take the well aimed shot, hear the bullet smack the pig, and pig would run off. Sometimes I'd hit the pig again on the run and still not find the pig. Had about a 250 lb boar this happened with and my friend who was using my .308 DPMS hit and dropped him. Found my 65 gameking nicely mushroomed, jacket still on, just under the NEAR side hide. Didn't even get into the ribs. I had a few 52 grain TSX rounds and put them on the top of the magazine. Next pig I shot was the last of the trip, a good size sow. Bullet went all the way through, missed the top of the heart, and slushed up the lungs good. The 65 gamekings worked fine on the little pigs under 150 lbs. Next trip I'm trying M855 FMJs and will also bring a lot of TSX rounds... and my friend will be using my 308 and my other friend will use his 308.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There's a lot of things going on there. Only fair comparison would have been to shoot different bullets side by side on the same pig. I've killed plenty of 200Plus pound pigs with one shot using gamekings. Then other times a big pig would just soak up the hits. Is there mud on the pig? How thick is the shield? How much of a fat layer is there? How fast are you pushing them? What range? etc, etc etc....
We killed a big pig where a lady had shot it with a 100grain corelok out of a 25-06 at 400 yards high behind the shoulder. The bullet went through the shield and broke a rib but didn't penetrate past that. Nice mushroom on the bullet too. That bullet at that range should have penetrated father than that. Hard to believe, but it happened.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
[QUOTE=" Seems like the 200+ lb ones it doesn't do all that great. [/QUOTE] A lot of bullets don't do all that great on big pigs. Especially if they have thicks shields. It just soaks up so much energy. Gut shot won't stop them either. Slow them down about it. Nice neck shot will put them down. I've put 120gr SST's out of my 6.8 through one side and destroy the heart, then lodge in the other shield. Knocked the pig down too! It still got up and ran only to put it down with a Texas heart shot.

witch's wail

[QUOTE=" Seems like the 200+ lb ones it doesn't do all that great.
A lot of bullets don't do all that great on big pigs. Especially if they have thicks shields. It just soaks up so much energy. Gut shot won't stop them either. Slow them down about it. Nice neck shot will put them down. I've put 120gr SST's out of my 6.8 through one side and destroy the heart, then lodge in the other shield. Knocked the pig down too! It still got up and ran only to put it down with a Texas heart shot.[/QUOTE]
Any heart shot critter , humans too have 30 sec of UN altered mental and physical turpitude post impact. That is Function, some go out ASAP some don't. again humans too. Best shot placement for DRT immediate incapacitate is a direct CNS hit, cervical spine or brain. Lumbar spine or thoracic spine will result in immediate paralysis from impact site distal, toward the back end , but could result in vocalizing and crawl with front legs.