What animals hear from suppressors part II

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Silencer shop came out this weekend with several suppressors and the decibel meters to demonstrate the noise made by bullet impact on an animal.

Last edited:

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The .22 sounds sounds pellet gun quiet ...

Jeremy M.

Administrator
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Being downrange while Todd was shooting I can tell you I was a little surprised at the results. I'm surprised that animals aren't more spooked than they are however locating where the shot is coming from is next to impossible.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Being downrange while Todd was shooting I can tell you I was a little surprised at the results. I'm surprised that animals aren't more spooked than they are however locating where the shot is coming from is next to impossible.

Yes you did get a very interesting perspective!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Certainly a interesting and good perspective.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Nice video, shows what a suppressor can do and can't. Critter gets wacked, plus louder sound then the shooter hears. Makes a big big difference in the fun in shooting the rifle for me, the AR with a muzzle brake is way too loud for no ear protection for me. I have only shot my ar with muzzle brake without suppressor attached once, and will not do that again, left my ears ringing bad.

Not many people have been next to target when someone is firing a suppressed rifle towards them.
But the fireball exiting the suppressor will give them away if suppressor does not contain it, but the sound will not. Even when you know where the shooter is the sound can't be pinpointed, or at least I could not. I did not realize the impact of the bullet on the critter was so loud. The paper target impact was not loud as it was on a 4ft card board box a few feet away from me.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Interesting that the impact sound in general seems to correspond with the muzzle blast reading.

Also, what it the set-up on that 45? My buddy and I tried suppressing both a AR15 and Marlin camp rifle both in 45 and found the rifles themselves to be painfully loud. Loud port noise as well as loud bolt slap. This was using an Osprey, which did a great job suppressing a 45 pistol. Anything unique on the AR that may help quiet the action down. Extra heavy buffer, etc.

Thanks,

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hydraulic buffer, JP Silent Capture Spring system. Both smooth and a lot less noise. BANG BANG!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting that the impact sound in general seems to correspond with the muzzle blast reading.

Also, what it the set-up on that 45? My buddy and I tried suppressing both a AR15 and Marlin camp rifle both in 45 and found the rifles themselves to be painfully loud. Loud port noise as well as loud bolt slap. This was using an Osprey, which did a great job suppressing a 45 pistol. Anything unique on the AR that may help quiet the action down. Extra heavy buffer, etc.

Thanks,

It's a just right carbine. But I cannot recommend it after sending the rifle back multiple times it still jams every mag. You will be lucky to get ten rounds off without failure. If you notice on the last 45 shot I am shaking my head in disgust because it jammed.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
That sucks when it can't be fixed right and 45 caliber is made for auto feed.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That sucks when it can't be fixed right and 45 caliber is made for auto feed.
The lwrc 45acp will be out soon I will be willing to bet it won't jam.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've got an AR45, which is an AR looking lower receiver that has a permanent flared magazine well that excepts 30 round grease gun magazines. It's very reliable but the one time we tried to suppress it it was no fun at all. Really loud.

One problem I know I have is the "slash" 45 heavy buffer is still not heavy enough to tame the Bolt speed. Empty brass are ejected at least 25 feet Away versus my 9mm which barely kicks them past the port opening. Slash makes a great product, it just seems that my rifle needs more weight.

I doubt I've even touched that rifle except to possibly move it around in the safe in over three years now.

In that video your rifle sounds very quiet. How does it sound side-by-side with a 9 mm suppressed AR.? My 9 mm A.R. is stupid quiet like a 22.

My 9mm AR gets shot all the time.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been down range while a friend sent .308 rounds at steel (as I stood behind cover)... It is really hard to tell where the rounds are coming from. Learned to take a shot then wait, the hogs tend to run a lil then stop and try to figure out where to go. I love sending a lot of rounds, but works better if you wait a few seconds and take a shot at a hog standing still... Sometimes I forget that and shoot till I'm out of rounds or hogs.