Wet, Misty, Foggy Mess with 4 Hogs Down

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went out Sunday night to look for pigs. They were definitely out and about and having a great time. Everything was waterlogged, muddy, or just plain wet. Misted the entire evening and then the fog set in and at that point, I called it a night.

Playing with a new video program - still working out the kinks

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A good night despite the wet conditions.
That field with the gas compressor looks like looks like a promising spot.

Keep After 'Em!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Perfect conditions for hog hunting! Not so much for thermal but good hogs down!!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That compressor station seems like it’s going to give you good cover. All in all I’d say a good night! Good shooting!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love the face-plant-crash/burn shot. Yeah, that big one shouldn't've been wanting to get up after that shot. Tough ol' bird. You could park your rig at that gas compressor, set up a shelter blind, and lounge with a Mr. Buddy heater inside... and still be stealthy.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hunt, especially with the lousy weather.
Looks like you have the new vid software working for you. Good job!

txhunter

Went out Sunday night to look for pigs. They were definitely out and about and having a great time. Everything was waterlogged, muddy, or just plain wet. Misted the entire evening and then the fog set in and at that point, I called it a night.

Playing with a new video program - still working out the kinks
Brian, great videos. I have a REAP 35mm but I am considering the 60mm. Was curious if less FOV with the 60mm is a challenge with runners inside 100 yards? It looks like you shoot on 2X a lot of the time so the FOV must not be an issue?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian, great videos. I have a REAP 35mm but I am considering the 60mm. Was curious if less FOV with the 60mm is a challenge with runners inside 100 yards? It looks like you shoot on 2X a lot of the time so the FOV must not be an issue?

Everybody has a different idea of what is right and wrong and really that is up to the individual shooter. So this is my opinion.

I like the extra magnification. For me, it becomes an issue on runners more like inside of 50 yards than 100. Not everyone feels this way, of course. I consider my ideal shooting distance to be 75-125 yards. I prefer not to be closer to that when possible. I would rather be at 150 yards instead of 50 for hogs.

I have, on occasion, just rolled the knob immediately after the shot to click down the magnification to get more FOV, but I don't do that very often. In the REAP, the process will be a tad more complicated to cycle through the magnification setting.

At the base magnification, I certainly don't think it would be an issue.

The real exception to this is for me is when starting out with hogs that are really widely separated in a field. This does not happen too often.