Welcome to myself, ah....you know what I mean

JKTex

I've been watching this forum for a few years and apparently never joined so here we go...

I live in the north side of the DFW metro-mess but spend a lot of time in east Texas where a branch of my family settled, after leaving where we originally settled in Clay/Montague.

I came back here to figure get pointers on making a hog roll barrel or 2. In Trinity Co. we're covered up, maybe more than ever. We've gotten a few but haven't even scratched the surface. I did most of the mowing this year and got beat to hell from old damage, and since then pastures and clearings in the woods are a mess.

I hope to have a barrel out in the next few days and hope we can catch them when they're moving.

Interesting enough, a secondary curiosity is what's dragging off whole hogs when we leave them placed. We know, but I plan on putting cameras on the whole hogs, rather than the carcasses which are obviously being devoured in hours by buzzards and coyotes. I killed one from the top of a hill, after climbing out of the tractor and putting him down at about 300 yards down the hill, running back and forth after missing the first shot. He disappeared whole, not a trace, from 150-200 yards in the pasture from the woods. My cousin had one not long after that and the same thing happened.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray. Whole carcasses taken? Hearing any wood-knocking, whistles, owl hoots, or other cries/roars? You may have a LARGE visitor. ;) :eek:

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Where I hunt (Central Texas) the buzzards usually get to the carcass first, then the coyotes move in and start dragging pieces into the brush.
Most of the time we'll cut off the leg quarters and back straps for ourselves, then slice the belly open to make it easier for the scavengers. They generally make pretty short work of things. The carcass typically disappears some time during the second day after we leave it.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! I have had the same thing happen a couple of times. No drag marks, no blood, one day the carcass is intact and the next day gone. And Ratdog, my neighbor swears he has heard tree knocks and has had responses when he knocks?? But I’m thinking it might be bad moonshine.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I dunno... I wouldn't rule out LARGE and in charge, just quite yet. There's a number of sighting reports in east Texas. As they say: "Absence of proof is not proof of absence."

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad you found us...

Got the barrel up yet?