Video from the Thermal Comparison hunt.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks testing out the new intro glad you like it!

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Your editing skills are really growing. Really cool to watch.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love the new intro, looks like a movie at the theater starting

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Getting better and better.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You're awesome, man! Thanks for posting!

A couple of observations...
On the first hog, I didn't shoot at the first hog because I could not see squat. Y'all kept saying it was a hog and I kept seeing a black spot sort of morph out of the grass and then fade back into it, but I could not identify the spot as a hog or even tell how it was oriented. That was because of the lighting conditions (reflected IR) and high grass. The grass is what I was seeing. So the thermal really shined in that case.

On the second sequence, what I thought was really interesting came after the shooting and discussing who did what. I was certain I had fired twice. The W1000 shooter was certain he had fired once and only at one hog (aside from the coup de grace shot). The videos showed I had fired three times and he had fired twice and had hit 2 hogs. I thought that was really neat and it sort of reflected one of the real benefits of video documentation. He was actually surprised he shot twice and that he hit both hogs! He did well for his first night of hog hunting.

Also on the digital night vision part, the video out of the Pulsar N750 does not include the brightness and contrast adjustments as seen through the scope. I actually had a slightly better view of the hogs even after the shooting started, but it wasn't a whole lot better. The night was calm and smoke hung in the air and that smoke reflected back the IR light as you noted, making for white-out sort of conditions. Had there been a breeze, it might not have mattered, but there was no breeze and so it really did matter.

There is some neat comparative material there. Thanks again.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I forgot about that Brian good call! It is surprising how different each persons perception of reality can be. I don't think we would have know you hit two hogs with that first shot without the video evidence. The great part for me is I re-live each hunt again when I make these videos and watch them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So do we TLM!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good video. The digital sights have their place, price point. Having zoomed to a narrower beam on the illuminator might have helped.

True that the glow from an IR led can be seen by all animals. My experience is that the closer the hogs, the more concerned they are with it. I've also had hogs at 35 yards not even pay attention to it. But recently had a group pop up less than 20 yards from me and that lead show froze in her tracks when she saw that glow.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
The critters see the IR source and will see the light as well if it is bright enough. Use the IR light like you would a flashlight, ease it on them from above. Using the least amount of IR works the best. Thermal really shines when critters are in vegetation. The NV digital or conventional can't see what is blocked by vegetation, and IR will only reflect back and make it harder it see. Open fields are where the digital and NV really shine, the thermals can't give the resolution NV does, at least at the price range most can afford :D

Nice video!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know each person is different but I can pick up my targets so much faster with thermal even if its not focused or the highest resolution. I love thermal!!!