Two Coyotes

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I went back to the corn field tonight but didn't see any hogs. I did spot two coyotes however. They were about 150 yards away and working on some hogs bones from last week. The pivot was running and I had a good wind so I decided to get closer for a better shot.

Everything was going as planned. I counted 50 steps, then checked. So far so good. 50 more steps, check again and almost have a shot, but the Yote dipped back down into the grass. The motor from the pivot and the chorus of frogs was more than enough sound concealment for this job. They weren't spooked, just doing their thing.

Something must have possessed me to turn off the DVR during the last 50 step stalk, and I forgot to turn it back on and naturally when the the coyote popped back up, I dropped it. The second yote managed to stay behind some grass while getting out of Dodge and I really couldn't get a shot so I watched him disappear into the corn.

Some time passed and I was extremely frustrated with myself and the decision to conserve battery in the DVR and forgetting to turn it back on when all of the sudden, I see a coyote on my other side about 50 yards away from me, and it was very close to being directly down wind of me now. It was heading that way, obviously to check out what the figure in the red/white plaid shirt standing there in the dark.

Miraculously I remembered to turn on the DVR and managed to get a decent shot on film.

1st one not filmed:

IMG_4211_zpsv5a9ika9.jpg

2nd one turned out to be a Chupacabra:

IMG_4209_zpsp8jbxiqw.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That stick tail looks like it was stench on the hoof. Nice shots.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
mange, you really put him out of his misery, you think that was the original one of the 2 you saw?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are really knocking them down lately! You did that one a favor poor guy.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
mange, you really put him out of his misery, you think that was the original one of the 2 you saw?
I've been trying to figure that out the whole time and don't see how it could be the same coyote. If it crossed that open area I feel like I should have seen it because I was looking 180° constantly for it. I'm just not sure.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nicely done. I heard a couple tonight, but didn't see them.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Here's some more predator action from tonight. Another two'fer. This time one was a tiny coyote. No calling, just happened to spot this little guy cruising a cut corn field. I should have put something down in the pic for scale, because this was animal was small. 1/3 the size of one of our typical coyotes.

I did call the coyote out of the standing corn into the cut area, but it wouldn't cross the road to commit for some reason. (could be that this coyote really thought it was a menacing goose making all that noise)

I watched it lie down and it never moved so I did what every good predator master want-to-be does in that situation. I crossed the road and went to him.

Tiny Coyote:

IMG_4473_zpsv25xkaoa.jpg

Running Coyote:

coyote_zpscoabifdq.jpg

This one went down about 135 steps away.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job, nice shot on the runner.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The taxidermist will love that pair. Good double, congrats.