Triggers on hunting rigs

fubar1217

Hey all,

What trigger is everyone running on their hunting rig? I'm building a 6.8 SPC for hogs and was going to use an existing lower that has the BCM PNT trigger group but was wondering if anyone is using a fancy two stage for precision. I have other ARs with the Geissele SSA and SSA-E and love those triggers and wonder if I should get another one for this application.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Geissele SSA-E

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a couple rifles with Geissele triggers on them but for the last two I built I put a regular mil spec trigger that I ordered from Aero precision and really have not noticed a difference when racking off rounds at hogs from a standing position with hogs running everywhere. Now on the 18 inch and the 20 inch that I will build here shortly I have a 2 stage of course from Geissele G2S and they are sweet. Geissele makes a great trigger for sure , if a regular one won't do then an SSA or even better I put an SD3G on one and those are way nice. BANG BANG!!

fubar1217

Thanks for the responses guys. I like the high end tastes here.....although my wallet doesn't! Lol

Maybe I'll try a G2S to see how it compares to the SSA.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If you want a slow,controlled trigger pull to break,a good trigger is imparative. Even if it is only the first pull before the volley.
A good trigger is even more important if you are concerned about your weapons lock time . . as in shooting from standing,unsupported. --- pruhdlr

fubar1217

If you want a slow,controlled trigger pull to break,a good trigger is imparative. Even if it is only the first pull before the volley.
A good trigger is even more important if you are concerned about your weapons lock time . . as in shooting from standing,unsupported. --- pruhdlr

Yes, I was actually thinking about that as well. I have a CMC single stage that breaks clean and quick and thought that might be better in the field for standing (unsupported or off shooting sticks). The Geissele triggers I have feel great but as you mention, I feel they are better for the slow, controlled pull.

LSB Active Member
Hey all,

What trigger is everyone running on their hunting rig? I'm building a 6.8 SPC for hogs and was going to use an existing lower that has the BCM PNT trigger group but was wondering if anyone is using a fancy two stage for precision. I have other ARs with the Geissele SSA and SSA-E and love those triggers and wonder if I should get another one for this application.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I definitely like Geissele don't think you can go wrong there, but I ended up going with a Velocity 3 lb single stage straight drop in on my 308AR. Something about the straight trigger fit my reach perfectly I've never had such sweet trigger interaction just love mine. The choice was simply driven by the cost the Velocity and a recommendation from a buddy. V isn't quite as well known and was exactly 1/2 the price at the time I bought it for $120. Have about 1,200 rounds through it and nary an issue def give them a look if you haven't seen or heard of them. If you can fall out of a chair you can install one in about 3 minutes just like Geissele.
The guy who started velocity spent many years as a design engineer for Timney so he's no flash in the pan jumping on the AR train.

Velocity AR Trigger - Compatiable with popular rifle calibers (.22, .223/5.58mm, .30 cal)

Last edited:

fanninland

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use SSA's on night hunting SBR rigs and SSA-E's on higher magnification scoped day hunting/target plinking rigs. Bought a LaRue MBT for $99 - seems pretty nice but haven't actually shot it yet. It's probably a very good compromise b/t performance and cost.

fubar1217

I definitely like Geissele don't think you can go wrong there, but I ended up going with a Velocity 3 lb single stage straight drop in on my 308AR. Something about the straight trigger fit my reach perfectly I've never had such sweet trigger interaction just love mine. The choice was simply driven by the cost the Velocity and a recommendation from a buddy. V isn't quite as well known and was exactly 1/2 the price at the time I bought it for $120. Have about 1,200 rounds through it and nary an issue def give them a look if you haven't seen or heard of them. If you can fall out of a chair you can install one in about 3 minutes just like Geissele.
The guy who started velocity spent many years as a design engineer for Timney so he's no flash in the pan jumping on the AR train.

Velocity AR Trigger - Compatiable with popular rifle calibers (.22, .223/5.58mm, .30 cal)

Thanks! I'll check them out.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After using the Geissele's I had to switch out the old milspec triggers that never bothered me before. Its like growing up without air conditioning then getting your first house with a/c in the Texas summer you could go back to living without it but it'd be a fight.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have had Geissele SSA-E in some guns. Also the Velocity 3lb.(make sure to Loc Tite the two small screws)
Right now,in my night hunting guns I have AR Gold. IMO they are the very best AR trigger for my style of hunting. --- pruhdlr

fubar1217

I use SSA's on night hunting SBR rigs and SSA-E's on higher magnification scoped day hunting/target plinking rigs. Bought a LaRue MBT for $99 - seems pretty nice but haven't actually shot it yet. It's probably a very good compromise b/t performance and cost.

Just looked into the MBT....crap, can there be any more praise for a trigger? Let us know how it shoots!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I picked up a Geissele SSA not too long ago for my AR-10, and I like it a lot. I also have a Rock River Arms 2-stage trigger on my 300 BLK, and for all intents and purposes it works just as well.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a G2S and it has a very nice break. If your down with 2 stage, don't hesitate. That first stage seems a little long for my taste if I had to complain about something but I think I prefer single stage overall for my typical shooting.

fubar1217

I have a G2S and it has a very nice break. If your down with 2 stage, don't hesitate. That first stage seems a little long for my taste if I had to complain about something but I think I prefer single stage overall for my typical shooting.

Exactly, I'm thinking in a hunting situation, you want the trigger to break immediately and not have to wait to get through the first stage on a 2 stage trigger.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They had the CMC single stage flat for $119 at Rifle Gear the other day so figured Id try it out. Have had several nights with it and like it a lot. The break is slightly less crisp than the Geiselle and the "lack of a set screw wobble" was easily fixed with a little tape wad underneath.