Tools for dressing hogs

jglass

LSB Member
A buddy and I were cutting up a wild hog he thought a cordless saw zaw would be good to have for butchering wild hogs. Has anyone tried an electric saw or electric knife for butchering a hog. I thought about taking used saw zaw blades and grinding the teeth off for a knife edge.

Would this work or is it better to use a knife in hand?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I know several people who use Sawzalls or similar reciprocating saws, rechargeable versions. They are mostly deer hunters, but it works just fine on hogs. There is no need to grind the teeth to make a knife edge.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've used a sawzall to cut the head off in the past, but these days I just remove the leg quarters & back straps. I don't skin the body nor gut them anymore.
The sawzall worked fine, although it wasn't really necessary.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Limp loppers/hedge trimmers and a couple good k-nives!! FILLET FILLET!!!

OR??? A TEXAS CHAIN SAW!!!

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sawsall's rock when hanging game for cutting off legs, heads, and cutting down the back to halve a critter. I used to keep one in the truck this time of year for cutting antlers off of road kill bucks!
Rick Gilbert cut the head off of a road kill pot bellied pig and boiled the skull. Has nothing to do with a sawsall, just wanted you to know.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Ryobi 18V recip I have used but good ole knives do their job if you know what you are doing

Attachments

• 100_0093.jpg
    100_0093.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 5

LSB Active Member
A buddy and I were cutting up a wild hog he thought a cordless saw zaw would be good to have for butchering wild hogs. Has anyone tried an electric saw or electric knife for butchering a hog. I thought about taking used saw zaw blades and grinding the teeth off for a knife edge.

Would this work or is it better to use a knife in hand?
not sure how much you take off a hog i just do hams and straps. sometiems just straps in field, but no gutting either way even with hams. the box cutter blade handle with the hook blade a lot of contractors use them for opening boxes outstanding hook blade just swap when dull. it's nice for anything in abdomen jus tright depth almost impossible to perf if you gut 'em.

Husky Hook Blade (10-Pack)-TE03-103THD - The Home Depot

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yep tools of the trade, I seldom gut a hog unless it is real small

Attachments

• 100_0093.jpg
    100_0093.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1

FrankT

Destin FL