Throckmorton County Buck

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been trying to decide whether or not to post this or not. I finally decided to go ahead and share.
Not too much of a story behind this deer until this year. Two years ago I first noticed this buck and I had him marked as a cull. His right side was a decent 5 and his left was a real short tined 5. On the left though his G2 split right at the base and then had about a 10" gap until he crab clawed at the end. But he never showed himself when I was hunting for a cull buck that year.
Last year he actually showed a lot of potential and his right side grew quite a bit along with his brow tines.
Fast forward to this year and he blew up to be much larger than ever. His brow tines shot up and he put on some length on his left side along with some trash. His rack almost looks like it belongs to two separate deer with his right side a tall typical 5 and his left being a trashy 8 (if the G5 measures an inch).

Once I saw this deer on camera I immediatly set him as my number one target. And I'm sure you can all guess why..the drop tine. While not much of one, a drop tine is a drop tine.
I hunted this buck every chance I got during bow season and it almost seemed like he knew when I was in the stand. Every time I was in it he wouldn't show. and when I was gone he'd be waiting under the feeder for it to go off. It didn't matter how far I walked to get to that stand or what direction I came in from, he somehow knew when I was there.
So once rifle season came I thought I'd give it a try to tuck myself off in the brush with my .308 and see if I couldn't fool him. Well to my luck it worked. at 8:04 a.m. on November 8th he came trotting through the brush up to the feeder. I gave him about 3 seconds and squeezed off my shot. He made it about 30 yards before piling up.
It felt great to finally get to put my hands on him after countless trips to the ranch hunting this buck but I am going to miss hunting him.
And I really wish he didn't break off half his drop tine!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WHY would you hesitate to share your tale with that fine animal? Congrats, nice buck... nice tale too.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WHY would you hesitate to share your tale with that fine animal? Congrats, nice buck... nice tale too.
Lol no idea why I wasn't going to post it at first. Mainly because I trying to decide on how to write the tale. My dang hard drive crashed last year and I lost all the photos I had of this deer from the past 3 years.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A great experience and you my friend are a true hunter. To study, try and persist is a real accomplishment. Congrats and thanks for the Story! Very nice Deer!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No more hesitation LOL... good story.

Unnerstan'... my laptop took a dump a few months ago. Sucks to be w/o, thankful to at least have my tablet.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A great experience and you my friend are a true hunter. To study, try and persist is a real accomplishment. Congrats and thanks for the Story! Very nice Deer!
Thank you! It takes a lot more than big antlers for me to shoot a buck. This is the first buck I've killed in 3 years off a 2000 acre ranch. We manage the place very heavily and it's really paid off.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No more hesitation LOL... good story.

Unnerstan'... my laptop took a dump a few months ago. Sucks to be w/o, thankful to at least have my tablet.
I have to be honest and say that it was my fault crashing my hard drive lol. My computer was updating the OS and I didn't realize it. I just thought it was being slow so I got mad and force restarted it. Turns out that's not good for it when it's updating the OS lol.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A great buck and story! I love an odd rack especially when they get big like that.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
beautiful whitetail!

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story and a nice buck. They have big deer out that way. I killed my biggest 5 years ago out that way.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That will do!! Heck ya he is a dandy. Way to go!! A GOOD ON YA!!! Thanks for posting. Nice pictures! BANG BANG!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That's an awesome deer. Congratulations for a great hunt and good story. I only wish I could shoot CULL deer that nice.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Beautiful - Heavy - Character. All good ways to describe a whitetail - and your Buck matches all three.
Great write up on your hunt for this buck!

Dennis

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Keaton that is an amazing buck. You had the patience to,let him grow and look what you did. Fine looking and a very big buck. Way to go.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you guys! Patience really does pay off and I've been very blessed to be able to hunt the property I hunt. Having the ability to let deer walk and not worry too much about the neighbors shooting it is what allows us to have big deer.
I rough scored him the other day at 152 6/8.
We've had a 174 taken out there. A few 160s and several 150s.