The good, the bad, and the ugly!

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's long at 6 1/2 minutes, so there's plenty of bad and ugly, I'll let you decide on anything good. Forgive the shakiness, using a monopod.
It had just rained a couple of hours before dark weekend before last, almost a full moon, and no overcast, you can hear the mosquitos occasionally, temp was about 85* and humidity almost the same. There are houses less than 100 yds from the cattle on the left end. I edited probably 20 minutes of video out, some prior to what you see as I was trying to stalk up on what I thought was a coyote, and the rest in the middle segments. Right after I made the comment about losing him, I thought I found him again and the "Mexican standoff" was on, after a couple of minutes I tried lip squeaking (not very well) to try to get him to move 2X. He was nooooo where around, he had exited stage left back through the cows several minutes earlier. I decided to stalk down that direction, and saw the "critters", only caught one brief glimpse of the coyote. I tried lip squeaking at them again to see if I could get a response, but nothing. The ocular lens was almost completely covered with condensate, and I was getting pretty tired walking through the tall wet grass, and trying to video and hold the rifle steady.

Any idea what the other "critters" are?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
looked like cows in the distance w the yote crossing between them and you from right to left

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A bunch of Moo-Deer there.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'd have to say there one faster moving single was a deer, based on the type movement. Next up were cows with a yote passing in front.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK, that's almost the same area where a calf stepped up out of a ditch a few weeks before. He was less than 30 yds from his mother that time. This time they would have been almost 100yds away from the herd.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
hard_ware got on to me for this and I will pass on the same to you with some instruction. If you press the button in the 3 o'clock position on your scope, you can get in some zoom. Going to 2x on the Zeus 3 640 can be beneficial for identification purposes. 4x may or not help. 8x won't help for ID usually, too pixelated.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
hard_ware got on to me for this and I will pass on the same to you with some instruction. If you press the button in the 3 o'clock position on your scope, you can get in some zoom. Going to 2x on the Zeus 3 640 can be beneficial for identification purposes. 4x may or not help. 8x won't help for ID usually, too pixelated.
Brian, Thanks, yes a lot going on, the scope covered in condensate, trying to zoom out to locate the coyote, then the "calves" popped up. So I did try to zoom, but not able to hold on them still enough or long enough. By then I was completely soaked in sweat and de-hydrated, from stalking around for 45 minutes to an hour. But it was fun and I'm learning to use the DVR and "run" the scope. Still gotta work on that lip squeaking deal though.

At least I had the bug gear on, sprayed down with mosquito dope, batteries charged, scope lens cap secured, etc, etc. etc.

JPK

LSB Active Member
The really warm and humid night are a pita. If you don't have one of the Zeiss or other brand micro fiber cleaning cloths, or a lens tissue (and who has those in the field?) I have found waving the optic around tends to clear the ocular. You'd look stupid, but hey, its dark and no one can see you!

JPK