The corn is cut

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The fields I hunt are mostly seasonal, corn plant and harvest. I have access to 1,800 acres in Cooper,TX and the best field for killing was cut today.

I got here right around 9 and while getting things ready I scanned real quick with the W-1000. About 400 yards in front of my truck was a large hog. I went green and made the stalk to within 50-60 yards, took a shot and DRT. I am in my other truck so no tape to measure but around a 260 lb boar.

Drive up to my parking spot and chill. Pretty much watch a herd of deer and and few yotes then just before 11 I spot something with the thermal on the other side of the field. It was really difficult to make out what it was. It looked like a vehicle that was leaving. Though it might be the farmer so I shined my white light that way and the object turns towards me. As I'm watching this object come towards me it reaches about half way and crap it's a pig. Lol. Grab the rifle and when he's about 60-70 yards from me, boom DRT. He was covered in mud and that's why it was hard to identify. Another boar but this one was 30-40 lbs smaller than the first. I called him in with a flash light. Lmao!!!!

Still here so maybe it isn't over. All I have for pics is my iPhone but I will post them tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Love a sweet night of good hunting!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks, good to see the old crew, as well as new ones too.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on a pair.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Lol, never heard of the flashlight method. Congrats on the hogs. I keep forgetting my camera, but my Galaxy S5 has a 16 megapixel camera, so I light the hogs up with my flashlight and shoot away.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got to be good hunting after the crops are harvested. You don't record video with your W-1000?

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't shoot with mine Frank, it's used as a spotter. Even though 95% of my hunting is night time I just can't get past not having a day time setup. I run a ACOG with a PVS-24 clip-on in front. One of these days I'll build a second upper for the W-1000.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My tape was in my Land Cruiser so I drug them up close to the tire for a comparison. 18" wheels and 35" tires
IMG_2134_zpsedb1de2f.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ahh, got it, I see more and more people opting for setting NV up to shoot with and Thermal used for spotting. Then even some walking around with NV to see, a thermal spotter and a rifle mounted NV to shoot(or taking the NV off and mounting to the rifle). More and more I think no matter what you use to shoot with you need a thermal spotter for a variety of uses even more than to use as a shooting sight.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When It comes to spotting and quick target acquisition thermal is King. Navigation and target ID is best with NV. That being said I will sometimes ID with thermal because I have used it so much and know what to look for as far as pigs are concerned but distance will come into account. It all depends on application. Guys that hunt from a stand under 200 yards should look first at thermal. If you move a lot, stalk or drive a PVS-14 should be your first choice. You can run it on a helmet and shoot with an IR laser or weapon mount it behind an EOTech

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
whatever works, works