Thanksgiving deer hunt

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went to my dads place for Thanksgiving and some deer hunting. had a great time with family and got to relax in the stand, talk to God, contemplate life and practice calling in doe. There were a big nice 8 and a nice 10 pt that had been on camera briefly a couple times i was hoping i could "meat" up with.... There was also a very nice big mature axis that had been recently spotted on the property. Unfortunately, after 4 hunts, i only saw the big 8 once at 6 am before i could see without night vision and he didnt stick around and never came back. I ended up seeing lots of whitetail, a couple black buck antelope, a small axis doe, a small axis spike (if either of them had a bigger body, i would be getting axis meat processed right now...)
The rut starts pretty late where my dad is, so its always a conundrum debating whether to try to hunt the peak of the rut, or to get there early Nov during prerut before a lot of the nice bucks are taken. My brother in law went a few weeks ago and took a nice 8 pt. maybe the best deer our family has taken on the property. Good for him.. he works his butt off and takes really good care of my sister and their family and he doesnt get to hunt often. ..The first evening i only saw a few deer. the first morning hunt was interrupted right at buck thirty sometime between 10:00 and 11:00 when the neighbors chihuahua came in to the feeder/water tank and wouldnt leave... frustrating... a rock miiiiight have randomly fallen from the sky horizontally at a good rate of speed and with a little luck somehow hit the little pup, which finally got him out of there but that morning hunt was done... so the next morning/last hunt i waited and waited hoping 1 of the nice bucks or axis would show. Then after the morning activity and a long lull, a small rack 7 pt with a big body that i let walk the day before, came out and it was 1:15 pm and my dad wanted to let all the doe walk so they could reproduce more deer for next year (even though i had 10 doe/fawns in the feeder together the night before. Oh well.. his call.) And It was time to get back to Houston and the ice chest was still empty.. i hate shooting small bucks that arent fully mature yet, but he took a slightly quartering away shot at about 65 yards from a 7.62x39 Hornady SST. He had no blood trail until a few yards from where he fell, but i knew i hit him based on the way he jumped before he ran and his opposite side front leg went sideways.. found him about 25 yards away from where i shot him. Bullet entered behind shoulder/elbow and exited near the front of the opposite elbow/shoulder... upon gutting, skinning and quartering him, i hit heart and lungs and his chest cavity was a big thick pool of blood and demolished lungs. I literally couldnt find a single in tact lobe of a lung. small entrance and an "ok" sized exit. wasnt impressed with the exit hole, but the bullet destroyed the chest cavity and about 20% of the heart. All in all it was a really good time.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on it !!! Did'ja git blood on granddad's knife too?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Without pix... it never happened. LOL Congrats on it !!! Did'ja git blood on granddad's knife too?
I had to switch to my phone to add the pics after over typing that long @$$ story. But they should be there now.. And YES! I did use PawPaw's old knife. My dad even asked if that was the same knife bc it had had a lot of surface rust on it when he first gave it to me after finding it while cleaning out their old house after my grandfather passed. And he really liked the sheath you made me. It is holding up very well and thank you for asking all the right questions to make it just right for me!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had to switch to my phone to add the pics after over typing that long @$$ story. But they should be there now.. And YES! I did use PawPaw's old knife. My dad even asked if that was the same knife bc it had had a lot of surface rust on it when he first gave it to me after finding it while cleaning out their old house after my grandfather passed. And he really liked the sheath you made me. It is holding up very well and thank you for asking all the right questions to make it just right for me!!
LOL... I edited my post after I saw you'd added pix... but, ya replied to it before I'd changed it.

Glad to hear it's working well for ya. I'm sure you got points with dad for getting it all squared away like you did too. Good work !!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats! Meat in the freezer!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job the "Real Blakester" and bonus points for whacking the chewowee!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice healthy looking little buck. Should be very good eating. Like a game warden told my grandson when he expressed displeasure at killing a button buck recently, "never feel bad about killing a legal deer, that's hunting."