Supping at the Target Range

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Seems like I start every story like this lately but...Its been ages since I killed a hog. At least a month or two and I was just thinking that I'm about due for one that just about walks right up to me. Seems to happen once or twice a year. Sooooo, my target range is right outside my trailer door. Basic range with 50, 100 and a 10" gong at 200. About 30 yards wide lined by trees all the way down.

Its 8:45 and after watching TV decide its dark enough to head out for the evening hunt. In to the mudroom and grab my rifle to turn on the scope and let it get warmed up. I step outside and gaze down range to verify alls good. Pretty good breeze is blowing from the South. Now almost every night I do this there will be a rabbit, opossum or armadillo. This night I have a special guest. Actually two special guests. Its a couple hogs just past the 100 yard target at the edge of the trees.

I am illuminated by the dim street light we have mounted on the tree by the door so Im a little reluctant to make a move to the shooting bench 10 yards away. I consider leaning on a tree by the door but the hogs are also on the right side and would be obscured by other trees farther down.

I opt for the picnic table 5' in front of me. I will kneel on the ground with the magazine resting directly on the table. About the time I get my Reap zoomed to 2X they both disappear in to the trees. I wait half a minute and theres one that wanders back out. She's pretty casual and seems pretty relaxed. I'm waiting for a profile and she obliges. POW! Neck shot and she goes down. Shes a little obscured by grass and I cant be sure shes
not still moving so I drop a couple more on her. I figured hog #2 was long gone but it comes zooming out of the trees after that 3rd shot and across to the other side before I could get lined up.

Turned out to be about 120lb sow. Thats the 200 yard gong in the backgound.
IMG_1976.jpeg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nuttin' like cashin' in on some over-due smack-down time ! Nice sow, congrats. I'm jealous of folk who can just step outside the door and shoot... without worry of neighbors.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well that turned out really good! I shot one from my front porch one time. My wife was upset about his rooting in her front yard! Imagine that! Good going glad you broke your dry spell!

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I don’t know if I’m more jealous of your ability to step out the door and kill a hog or having a 200 yd range in the back yard. Nice hog.
I'm with CD !!
Nice going, keep after 'em!