Standing corn hogs

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This was kind of a little different and it took me reviewing the video last night to figure out what actually happened.

I'm standing on top of a levee of an old catfish pond which is planted in corn for ducks and can hear them thrashing the corn stalks when I arrive.

My first shot appears to drop one so I swing on the second one if the two. I never heard the tell-tale whack of a bullet hitting a soft target, and can hear hogs running toward my position. Within a few seconds I see another hog moving through the the vicinity of position where I dropped the first one. I shoot and down it goes. I cropped off the remaining 6 or seven minutes of video of me nervously panning back and forth including looking straight ahead into the tall grass three feet in front of me. There were at least two more at the bottom of the levee in the thick Johnson grass and briars on either side of me. I could hear then making deep nasal inhaling sounds which I assume is them trying to smell for danger with all their worth?

Eventually things calm down and I got get my truck and decide to go down and have a look for them. Turns out as best I can tell I got to shoot that first hog twice.

I didn't notice it until I reviewed the video but it looks like my fist shot pulled too fat right and must have hit the hog in the in the head. The shot must have knocked it out because it went down only to recover and get back up when I wasn't looking.

I deliberately never aim for the head because I am concerned that I may wound the animal where it can't eat but not an otherwise fatal shot which would cause a slow agonizing death, so I was relieved when I found the big sow in the corn with two bullet holes.

One slice right through the lower jaw presumably from my first shot and one killing bullet hole in chest cavity.

image_zpsgcnftmfk.jpg

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Haha.

I actually got another one in a standing beanfield. It looked like a ghost, it's entire body was covered in mud except for its forehead.

I forgot to switch the video on that one.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hunt ... hogs down.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hogs down, a good night. Congrats.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, never mind us, we're just jealous. I haven't seen a thing since I almost got into that sounder 3 weeks ago. Every time I go, I get out of the truck walk a 100 yards and hear the dogs take off on the neighboring property chasing the hogs.:mad:
Good shooting, keep whacking and stacking.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, never mind us, we're just jealous. I haven't seen a thing since I almost got into that sounder 3 weeks ago. Every time I go, I get out of the truck walk a 100 yards and hear the dogs take off on the neighboring property chasing the hogs.:mad:
Good shooting, keep whacking and stacking.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I really wished I had videoed that beanfield hog that was covered in mud which obscured its body heat.

Looking across the field I saw four objects I thought could be hogs and while watching them I see a ghost walk right by them. Seeing the ghost walk by the four objects (which were deer) explained why the deer were fidgeting around like hogs do. They were getting nervous this thing was walking by them.

All I saw was a translucent being walk right by the deer. The only hot spot was its forehead. The rest of its body was A blurred image of the terrain. Kind of like the scene from the movie predator. I honestly didn't know what I was looking at for a minute there.

I was in my truck on a turn row and slammed it in reverse to back up for a better look. About 500 yards later I jump out to look again and realize it was deer I was looking at but no sign of the ghost.

Panned a little to my right and suddenly I saw a black hot hog forehead trotting right to me, about 25 yards away. My truck was running and it actually heard me click my safety off to shoot. It stopped and looked right at me when it heard the click......

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent shooting. I had a simular hunt only during the day the hog moved and The shoot took out her jaw and had to hunt her down to finish the job. Like you I was afraid that she would die a long death glad I was able to find her and it was daylight. It was in SC