Stalking singles question, with Photos

JRHTX

Normally I have been shooting from a fixed position @ 100 yards but I recently finished a 6.8 build with thermal and 120gr SST's. I had a group of 25+ suddenly come in and decided to try and get closer hoping to get more than one. That plan worked with the large group. They made a LOT of noise around the feeder so getting close didn’t seem to be an issue, and I had a favorable wind. That was a week ago.

Well what is left of the group (only 2 less) has been gone for a week and normally they stay away for 2-3 weeks. Now I have several large single boars visiting.

Are singles more on point than large group? I can get within about 45 yards behind cover to one feeder. The other is a little more difficult. Or, just blow it off and shoot them at 100 Yds?Boar Russian_0014.JPG IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0108.JPG IMG_0288.JPG

Photos of the targets

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 4

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If your shooting is solid at 100yds, your rig should make solid kills with that distance/load.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Lone boars don’t stay in one place very long so if everything is in your favor, you will have to move on him quickly or he will most likely be moving on. They also tend to be more cautious and skittish. If you try to get closer, use every bit of cover and the wind to your advantage. If the kill is the most important thing to you, take the 100 yd shot. If not, the stalk can be a challenge and rewarding in itself.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would try to crawl up there quietly and grab one by the back leg while he is feeding. Usually produces a good story for later.:eek:

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I would try to crawl up there quietly and grab one by the back leg while he is feeding. Usually produces a good story for later.:eek:
And, of course, we want video!

I've had lone boars stay at a feeder for a while if there's corn on the ground. They'll often hang around a pig pipe for several hours.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Take the guaranteed shot @100. Otherwise if you spook them, they are educated and will be more difficult.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree with Chopper - the stalk is rewarding but watch for any sign you are about to be busted - and take your shot.
Don't want any hogs getting away with an education.
Now Mr Dan has guts! Doubt if I would risk My guts trying to grab a boar barehanded!!!

JRHTX

Take the guaranteed shot @100. Otherwise if you spook them, they are educated and will be more difficult.

This is what I was thinking. I was assuming they would be more skittish so, I would rather have the kill than the stalk. They seem to stay around for a while, 20-30 minutes and move between the feeders (about 70 yards apart and I can shoot either feeder). The shot is easy but I will change to my 308 bolt gun.

LSB Active Member
Lone boars don’t stay in one place very long so if everything is in your favor, you will have to move on him quickly or he will most likely be moving on. They also tend to be more cautious and skittish. If you try to get closer, use every bit of cover and the wind to your advantage. If the kill is the most important thing to you, take the 100 yd shot. If not, the stalk can be a challenge and rewarding in itself.
This is the mostess fun for me as well. Once I get to ~100 I mount the thermal and am on spook alert ready to let one off the chain the instant I'm made and often that necessitates hitting one on the move, but still fun. 50 yards is about the average I've come as close at 20 yards Nothing more fun than seeing how close you can get!