SPW5.56 stuck

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I got a new (to me) 5.56 18 inch last month and had local smith move 5.56 SPW muzzle device over from .22LR to the new (to me) 5.56 18 inch (larue predatAR) barrel.
Normally I remove suppressors after shoot is over as one almost got stuck before.
But this time I forgot and shot a second day and then after it cooled down it was stuck.
This barrel has a place on the barrel you can grab with a channel lock with one hand and hold turn the suppressor with the other ... but I've tried 10 times and no movement. I've tried spraying some cleaner around the rear of the suppressor and also tapping on it with a rubber hammer. Still stuck.
I guess I have to take it to a smith who can hold class 3 devices to try to get it off unless there are any magic ideas, but I thought I would ask!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heat it up is all I can think of.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup, heat the can.

My M.D.s get a dab of anti-seize on the threads.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
ok thanks! I can think of one easy way to heat it up! :D

==
Does everyone else remove suppressors from all guns after all shoots ?? Just checking ... thx again.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would just heat the suppressor up with a heat gun. You don't want the mount to heat up as well

My suppressors stay on the rifle until I remove them to clean the gun. I've never had one stick.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A Hair dryer may work too...

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
is it corrosion stuck or metal in threads stuck?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
it is the blowback and no anti seize when it was put on

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
Opened up heat gun package ... read the part of the instructions that told which attachment to use for my application (or something close) ... plugged it in turned it on ... pressed it up against the suppressor and counted to 60 and tried to take off suppressor ... no joy. Looked at the rear of the heat gun and there seemed to be a + - adjustment so I turned it all the way around from where it was and then tried it for another 60s and it came right off!!!

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

My dealer finally replied last night and suggested soaking in a vat of penetrating oil, which was the first thing I thought of, but I didn't have 5 gallons of penetrating oil! And the heat gun was much easier - so thanks again for the ideas and support!!! This isn't the biggest forum, but it sure is the best :)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great news...well done!! Now use a bit of anti seize when installing.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I've been cleaning an amazing amount of "gunk" out of the suppressor threads. I went back and re-read the cleaning instructions ... and they basically say not to clean the suppressor, but only to clean the mounts occasionally. Well, they must operate under different conditions! There was a small amount of gunk on the mount threads, but a ton of gunk in the suppressor threads. That is out now.
Ok, so "anti-seize" ... guess I'll need to hunt some of that up next!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well now I use it on quite a few things, get it at an automotive store but check w others here first for suppressors. RD mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use this stuff a LOT. Yup, automotive supply store.

1260585f-7f8a-4646-a356-e4ce14222449.jpg