Sows & Piglets

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

I received an email from the landowner that hogs were apparently back on his property. I met him Thursday evening and he explained that he found rooting on the SW side and suggested I hunt a feeder in that area.

After baking in the sun for about 3.5 hours, I saw some dark spots moving through the bush. I was facing into the sun, but it had finally gone down below the level of the trees. A turkey had tricked me earlier in the same area and I thought a group of turkeys was about to come out, but it was hogs.

Two sows and seven itty bitty piglets presented themselves and as there was still daylight, they all looked about as black with the naked eye as they did through the scope. I picked the most cautious sow as my target. She also seemed a bit larger.

She dropped with the first shot. The second shot was into the grouped piglets and one of those tumbled out and I panned over and tried to lead the other fleeing sow. I led her too much. I went back to check on the piglet and it was GONE! I kept scanning, thinking that maybe it was swallowed up in high grass or a low spot as I could not see it anywhere. It wasn't until I reviewed the video that I understood what happened. I tried following their exit route to see if I could find the piglet, but was not successful.

In the end, one 120 lb sow, 115 yards, right at dusk. The shot entered a bit low, breaking her right humerus, traversing under her head and clipping the back of the left mandible before exiting, apparently taking a lot of blood vessels along the way. She was a good bleeder. She was wet. Apparently, they had been swimming.

As per the landowners instructions, I dragged her away from the feeder and sliced her open for easy access by other animals.

Angry Bird finally got of his roost and decided to help. He even went with me to get cookies.

Just got a call, from the landowner. "Let's see about the others."

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Found you a Zombie piglet, huh?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lotsa blood, looks like an axe murder took place there. That other big one came back after the first shot and stood there for a second it looked like.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice hog and good video to boot.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice, I thought for sure you rolled at least 3 or 4 of those little piggies!!?? Nice going. BANG BANG!!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
B? I thought you had that piglet, in a poke !!

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Are you looking at the main picture or the smaller "picture in picture" when you actually squeeze the trigger?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
First shot is definitely smaller "pigture" and then switching to larger for running shots. I know the 2nd sow was a big picture shot. No clue on the piglets.

If I owned the scope, I would have the process down with familiarity and practice, like learning the difference between looking at your tach versus your speedo in your car. In all, I probably only had a few hours of time looking through the scope and less than a minute looking at running things.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
cannot believe that 6.5 did not hit 1 piglet or the sow..Say Brian I have never shot a 6.5 how much more recoil does it have than a 6.8 which has virtually none especially in a piston gun?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
cannot believe that 6.5 did not hit 1 piglet or the sow..Say Brian I have never shot a 6.5 how much more recoil does it have than a 6.8 which has virtually none especially in a piston gun?
As with any AR you can do things to mitigate the recoil. Buffer, spring, and the likes. They do not kick. They are just like the 6.8. Mine kicks less than the daughters 6.8 but they both are very smooth because I have the JP Silent Capture system on both of them. No spring noise or no clanking when it cycles. You can fire either one all day and not have a sore shoulder at the end of the day. Daughters 6.8 is 16 inch and my 6.5 is 18 inch. Once I get the thermal I am going to do the hydraulic buffer, if you ever had a chance to fire one with a hydraulic buffer in them you will never want anything else. They are sooooo smooth and a difference between night and day when you fire them. BANG BANG!!!

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks CS

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, I am wondering if that pig wasn't just barely grazed or concussed by the supersonic crack. He did seem to be knocked down, but I don't think he was hit solid. As for the sow, just a bit too much lead, I think. Missing big or missing small is still missing.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah the piglet were so small another one might have run into him or he went the wrong way, a graze could have been it too..actually the other sow shot looked like it should have hit.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good video, those piglets are tough to hit, fragmenting bullets come to mind

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It sure looked like you had the piglet. Regardless, well done.