Silent "PING"

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those are zipping out of there Brian. Still laughing about the custom drag!!:) BANG BANG!!

D

djones

if you didn't have ftf before the can, i wouldn't count on it being a fluke. guess most folks have seen this chart. not sure if everyone subscribes to it but it sure helped me fix gas related failures.

how was the length of the rifle for you while carrying it by the sling?

ARejectionpattern_zpss8dbjgu7.jpg

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, it may not be a fluke, but it may be a bad reload. My gun normally runs fine, but have noticed that it does not run well with under powered loads. For example, the Wolf Gold ran just fine which was a big surprise as that is often not the case. It is what I use to get on paper as it is so inexpensive. Whenever I change out scopes or sight in a new rifle, Wolf is what I use to get started.

dj, I am saddened by your poor graphic to explain ejection issues. This video does a much better job...

Sling? I don't use no stinkin' sling.

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I like her explanation much better. Wait......what was she explaining?

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian I like your example better!

No sling? How you you carry the weapon? Use a sling for support when a support is not available or spot and stalk to get a shot quickly? Not even mention the tremendous length and weight of the weapon. Just curious, there is no right or wrong answer, all my AR's are slung even if I shoot from a blind.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, contrary to most folks, I like heavier guns. I am not keen on the length, but I like the extra weight. A rifle sling just gets in my way. I choose to sling my shooting sticks instead. I can't sling both.

I find that this works well even on very long stalks. The Hessian and I walk a circuit on a nearby property that covers up to 2 miles and in the dark, going slow, we will be out 3 - 4 hours.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow, you are better than I then, I guess that is why I shoot the 6.8, lighter and more agile without losing the firepower. Plus when carried in the front I am as stable in 5 seconds or less as on shooting sticks with the sling.. I have to say I have the weapon in front and carry or can sling the tripod but not as fast as I use to be getting older. That and these thermals make it slower and heavier but I still do it.

I do like to hunt with others just to pick up great pointers from people, never can have enough ideas.. Heck your way may even be easier I have just never used an AR w/o a sling.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, it may not be a fluke, but it may be a bad reload. My gun normally runs fine, but have noticed that it does not run well with under powered loads. For example, the Wolf Gold ran just fine which was a big surprise as that is often not the case. It is what I use to get on paper as it is so inexpensive. Whenever I change out scopes or sight in a new rifle, Wolf is what I use to get started.

dj, I am saddened by your poor graphic to explain ejection issues. This video does a much better job...

Indeed, a great clip there. Nice form shooting... er... shooting form. Yeah, that's what I meant.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the club Brian, after a one hunt shooting suppressed I said to myself I should have done this a long time ago.

That thud never gets old, but cringe when I hear a mis and that long crack.

As for the ping, I had a surefire FH that pinged, it drove me nuts and took it off.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As for the ping, I had a surefire FH that pinged, it drove me nuts and took it off.

Well, it did me as well, but then people came to expect it in the videos and when I would use different rifles that didn't go PING, people sent me notes asking why. It was sort of weird. Personally, I don't notice it anymore, but others do. Funny stuff!

D

djones

bow_zpswby1rwrr_1.gif

i must admit i don't think i've ever seen such a stance.... while shooting.... in heels, but i like it!! wonder if i can get any of my hunting buddies to do that.

ps - was there really a gas block in that vid??

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, it did me as well, but then people came to expect it in the videos and when I would use different rifles that didn't go PING, people sent me notes asking why. It was sort of weird. Personally, I don't notice it anymore, but others do. Funny stuff!
Just call it the dinner bell, every time it rings your bringing home the bacon.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome .. and great looking rig!!

D

djones

The Hessian and I walk a circuit on a nearby property that covers up to 2 miles and in the dark, going slow, we will be out 3 - 4 hours.
4 HOURS??? are you sure y'all aren't stoppin to pitch a lil woo on the back forty, lol

i guess you know not to clean your rifle with the can on. sometimes removing it can be a pain depending on how it's attached. i use red loctite on the adapter/rifle threads and anti seize on the can/adapter threads.

SteveR

LSB Member
Sorry Brian but the only thing gun related on the video was a few seconds of some guy shooting an AR. I was a little light headed during the rest of it.