Silent "PING"

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is with a heavy, yet gladdened heart that I am here to report that the PING be no more on the Machine That Goes "PING." Was contacted a little while ago that my Form 4 is approved and I will be picking up my Surefire Genesis, purchased through Silencer Shop, from my local dealer, Storrie Parachute Works. Assuming the thread adapter works as advertised, the pingnatious tones will ping no more on my 20" Grendel.

Pics and such to follow as things develop.

And to think it only took about 6 months and 4 days (money clearing at ATF to receipt of approved Form 4). :rolleyes:

WOOHOO!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've got an Armalite AR10 with an adjustable gas block, but I've not experienced any change in performance on those times I forget to change the setting. All of my other .308/7.62 semis seem to do just fine.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is a special day. You need to smoke a cigar or have a nice steak or something like that.

I've got two in jail that I'm waiting on.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow, congrats! with a 20" barrel and a suppressor you can just poke them before shooting

D

djones

the can might be fairly noticeable on 20" depending on how you carry it. i ran my 308 over gassed for years and it functioned fine. i didn't want to mess with it as long as it worked. after i wore out a bolt and extractor i changed out the spring, buffer and turned the gas down. i should have done that in the beginning.

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My 6.5 Grendel JP has an adjustable gas block, but putting my Sico Omega on my 18" upper required no gas adjustments for function. The last round will not lock the bolt back but everything else cycles.

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now, you KNOW Slayer Beall will be expecting an upgrade soon as well.

Congrats on the "Get out of jail" notification.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome! Can't wait for some suppressed carpe sus videos. I should be joining you pretty soon, the wait is nauseating

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats Brian! Bittersweet.. We will all miss the "ping" but we understand that it's for the best.....

...It's just really hard, that's all.. And no I'm not crying! You're crying!! RD blew sand in my eyes! That's what happened... Just shut up ok!?!!

D

djones

ok that's enuf. time you 2 took it to pm's.... or just get a room!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got in some range time and a hunt. The hogs showed up a little over 2 hours after I left. Oh well. However, the range trip went fairly well. Tested 4 types of ammo, all with the can on the gun (no on/off comparison). Shot 2 factory loads and two sets of handloads I will be evaluating. A bit over gassed and one fail to feed. Don't know if the fail to feed was the handload's issue, gas issue, fluke, or what. No problem locking back on empty. So I think I am functional for the time being.

20160622_192507.jpg

20160622_192443.jpg

Working with some lathed-down experimental GMX bullets, ~95 gr., 2874 fps average.
20160622_185841.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
did you show a POI shift on your regular hunting ammo?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
did you show a POI shift on your regular hunting ammo?

Frank, I did not check for that. I had been hunting with VLD-Hunting 130 and I did not run any through the can. Next time I get to the range, I will have to check and see. Given that I am using a hbar rifle that would not be as influenced by the addition of a can to the end of it, I would be surprised if there was much real change. I have seen where some lighter weight "pencil" barrels (but not all) seem took be influenced more by adding a can to the end. The heavier the can, the greater the influence.

The four loads didn't all group the same, that is for sure. The Wolf and SST were low left. The GMX rounds were left, but had good elevation. The Nosler had good windage, but was low.