Shoot Them During Security Checks

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Late in getting this video out. Apparently life is happening outside of hunting and it caught up with me today.

Decent hunt. I started by going to the range and verifying my zero using steel targets. Doing this in the hot afternoon sun was not an ideal time, but I did not have the opportunity to wait until after dark. Satisfied, I headed to TBR for the evening. Most of the evening was spent watching bothersome non-target species like deer and skunks, but a boar finally did come out. I had tried calling hogs and predators throughout much of the evening, but had stopped about an hour before this guy came out. He just wandered in on his own volition.

I mentioned that I like to shoot hogs when they are coming in and doing their security checks. This hog was a great example. He would move a few feet, stop, sniff the air and listen, before proceeding only to do it again a few feet later. He would stop for several seconds at a time and hold still. What a great opportunity! While this guy was alone, I like to go after the hogs in sounders that are doing the security checks as they are the ones most apt to bust you, so why not bust them first.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video break down of your process verifying zero. The shot impact on steel is better than I expected.
Solid hit on your boar,,, straight down collapse and one roll. Excellent!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shot B. Best kinds of kills, DRT. Congrats Kemosabe.

Drift

LSB Member
I was impressed by the side by side comparison. Pulsar spotter with 50 mm lens next to the (I believe) Zeus.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video and a dandy of a hog also!!! GOOD ON YA!!!! and CSMF right back at ya!!! Loved it when he flipped all stiff legged!!! BANG BANG!!!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Job!! Another nice hog!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Excellent Excellent! great training missed the beloved ping.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and great shot ... down goes another.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Very nice!

Thanks for the tip on the steel targets. Never thought about trying them with thermal.

JPK

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yet another great shoot. Ping away....

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good stuff, nice shot