rookie questions

Rappland

LSB Member
1. check weights. Do you guys use them? I was told once that if you start low and work up to what you like, regardless of what the scale reads, that is the weight for that load in your notes and it's repeatable. So, as long as I don't change scales they are unnecessary. I'm not blind and definitely see room for argument against that theory, but at the same time, it makes sense.

2. Beam or digital and why?

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I use mine occasionally. I don't calibrate/verify my scale every time I use it, but periodically I do just for my own peace of mind. It only takes a minute.

OTOH, I'm not an expert, just a guy who came across some reloading gear at an estate sale a few years ago and couldn't resist a bargain.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I calibrate the scale every time I use it. Accuracy is about repeatability so why not spend an extra minute to do so!! I use an RCBS digital scale

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I calibrate every time I reload and measure every charge.

I use a Hornady electronic scale.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I keep a .224" 40gr Vmax and a .308 240gr SMK on my bench i occasionally weigh as a Standard before reloading. Only once did they not weigh the same and what i had written on them in sharpie, but i had hauled the scale around in my truck for a week.
Did a calibration and all was well. This is on a RCBS 1500 Chargemaster.