Rockdale blonds don't always have more fun.

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was in Rockdale staying at a friend's ranch hoping to get a hog to bring back home. Not many hogs had been seen on the property lately so as it is with hunting, often times it's a crap shoot, sometimes you roll and win big, other times you end up with nothing. I was hunting out of a raised blind with hunting lights and a scope, that's the way my 308 was set up, no NV that night. I had seen a lone boar the night before but could not get enough light on him to make a good shot, I have poor night eye sight, so my thought was, if two lights are good, three is even better and I could cover the whole area. I had one light pointed left, one right and the third was straight forward into the open field. About 10:30 I saw the boar again working the edge of the field right near the woods, he would move towards the field but seemed to be afraid of the open area since my buddy has taken over a hundred of his relatives from the stand I was in.
Finally he moved into an area that had enough light that at 100 yards, with the scope turned down to 3x, I could put the smack down on him. It didn't take but a minute for him to give me a broadside shot and with one clean shot I put that 150gr. Hornady SST in his neck causing an immediate short in his electrical circuit, after he did a quick 360° spin, it was lights out for ever. We hung him up in a tree, cut him up, bagged the meat and put it in the freezer. I have a Dodge Sprinter van with a power inverter installed in it, so I bring a freezer along with me. The next morning I checked the meat and it was solid like a rock. From there I met with some other friends in Burlington, just north of Rockdale, we found that the hogs were tearing up the corn fields where the stalks were only 4" tall causing the farmers to have to replant in some areas. Four of us went out checking the fields for hogs, one of the guys got "A" shot off with his 338 Win Mag dropping two big hogs, since no one else wanted the meat, Bill W., Chuck and I cleaned and butchered them and put them in my freezer. My wife loves the meat and told me to keep hunting and bringing home the pork, so I will obey her.

Rockdale%2C%20TX%202-L.jpg

2013%20003-M.jpg

Bill W.

i-5Gjn8JP-M.jpg

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats...nice hog !

And, that's a good woman !!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good going, now is the freezer full or we still killing??

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The freezer was pretty full, but the hunt was in March and I made a lot of Italian sausage, breakfast sausage, buckboard bacon, pulled pork as well as pork roast and smoked chunks of meat, so the freezer is getting kind of low right now.