REMINDER: Check You Old School Leather

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Back in the day (academy training) we heard tales of dead cops in NYC with their hand on their revolver butt (holstered). They'd died because they were unable to un-holster at the beginning of a gun fight. They'd never removed their gun from their holster (or, hadn't done so for years), the inside of the leather holster was now one with the metal. Probably gotten wet (time and again) and allowed to dry inside the leather. Eventually, began to rust and ended up fused to the leather. That lesson has stuck with me all these decades.

In 2013, I bought myself a NIB Marlin Guide Gun, bought a hard side metal/locking case for it to bring home from Kodiak, AK (where I'd bought it). A few years later, I bought a Galco (leather) ammo holder for the butt stock (new in the package). I mounted it to the gun, and eventually (after taking it to the range a couple of years ago to see where it shoots and to function test it. It was then, that I stuffed some brand new ammo into the loops and tucked it away at home (in the metal case). It was a dry/winter day the day I had it to the range, I was under cover the whole time, the only moisture present would've been ambient/atmospheric humidity.

I've been taking advantage of the down time to care for all of my leather goods: shoes, boots, belts, holsters, sheaths, etc. Today, I pulled the Guide Gun out and had to work to get the ammo from the loops, and, found that the brass cases were beginning to crust to the leather, and were beginning to turn a bit green as well.

Everything's cleaned, leather is conditioned, brass is cleaned and polished with Flitz, and I'm making certain the moisture from the conditioner will air dry completely before stowing away once again.

My point, it's amazing how quickly this type of problem can creep up on you, even with "new" gear, kept dry, etc. Check your gear and get after anything which doesn't look right.

I generally condition/oil my leather goods as soon as I get them. I may've neglected to do that with this one.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"Verdigris" is the term I needed for the brass to turn green and when it begins to fuse itself to the leather.

diggler1833

LSB Active Member
I think that the greening is due to the vegetable oil used in the the tanning process. Had an El Paso Saddlery rig do that to some of my .44s in less than a month.

Nickel plated brass prevents this if you didn't already know.