Refresh Rate 30hz vs 60hz what I didn't know.

JeremyV

LSB Member
Ok guys I was super confused about refresh rates considering your eyes only see about 24 to 30 frames per second how could 60hz be any advantage?
Well after some more research and talking to people I finally figured it out and though I would share what I didn't know or understand. With 30hz your image is captured processed and displayed this takes time a new image is made every 3.33 1/100s of a second so very best case scenario would be that you are seeing an event that took place over 3 1/100s of a second ago. On a fast moving target that means you could have a miss cause the animal is no longer in the spot you saw it.
60hz is only 1.6 1/100s of a second behind reality. So your target has moved only haf the distance. So it appears that it's not just about how smooth the image looks but more about how close to real time you see the image.

Comment and observations from those of you who have shot both?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Meh I've hit running hogs at over 300 yards with 30hz. I've also shot 30hz and 60hz using the same lead with the same results. I am told 60hz is noticeable in 336 units. But for the 640 units I can not tell a difference even viewing from a moving vehicle at highway speeds.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not much noticeable difference to the average human eye ... maybe if you were trying to hit running hogs from a moving vehicle then 60hz may come into play.

D

djones

jerm i think ur on to something. that would splain why i was hitting so many dirt clods when i went thermal

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
60hz may limit the smear of fast moving objects particularly when seen in slow motion playback.

As for lead, you will figure out the lead issues regardless of the hz rate. In that the target will have moved half the distance when 60 hz over 30 hz, that is only the difference since the last frame and resets with each new frame, and so it will generally be so minimal as to not be noticed.

60 hz does consumer more battery power.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
jerm i think ur on to something. that would splain why i was hitting so many dirt clods when i went thermal
Only if the hogs are running vertically, so far the leads been good, hold over well it's been hard on the earth worms.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

JeremyV

LSB Member
Ok so just did some more math and if a hog is going right to left at 90 degrees at 15mph he will go 2.64 inch's every 1/100 of a second so with a 60hz that's 4.22" and 30hz is 8.44" your eye can only see at 24 to 30 frames per second so 60hz should look the same as 30hz only be happening closer to reality. Imagine starting your camera and it takes 1 second to show you any video you experience lag but the video is still smooth that's the same thing here.

As you can see the hold is not much different for a pig at full run with either device.
I personally went with 30hz cause I doubt I'll need to ever worry about the differences.

fanninland

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I also went with 30hz on my Zeus due mainly to being told about battery life savings. I've shot (er shot at) a bunch of hogs on the run and if the unit is lagging at 30hz I sure can't tell it.

D

djones

Only if the hogs are running vertically, so far the leads been good, hold over well it's been hard on the earth worms.
i did the math on this and calculate my 30hz scope is about 3 feet slow at 100 yards on a 25mph hog. the babies you shoot are only running about 6mph.

JeremyV

LSB Member
I also went with 30hz on my Zeus due mainly to being told about battery life savings. I've shot (er shot at) a bunch of hogs on the run and if the unit is lagging at 30hz I sure can't tell it.
The only way to know for sure would be to know exact distance to hog and exactly how fast it's going know your exact lead for the bullet your shooting and then be able to hold in the exact place you wanted. only then would you notice lag. by hitting farther back on the animal but only a few inch's. In practice this never happens especially shooting movers. Your making so many guesses that the difference between 30hz and 60hz is going to be very hard to notice. I do think top shooters would notice though but can't say for sure.

Ben Diss

fpsdemo1.gif

Can you see a difference? If yes, then the human eye can see better than 24 fps.

Ben Diss

How did you make the video?

There's a lively debate in the PC gaming community on this very topic. Someone made this to demonstrate the difference. It's a complete myth that a human eye can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps.

JPK

LSB Active Member
I can select refresh rate on my MK II, I can see a difference between 30 and 60 but no much. I shoot set at 30htz.

JPK

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a 60hz if I could go back I would have saved the coin and got the 30.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ben thanks for sharing that!
Good point about the battery life issue.
I assume it's not as noticeable through a scope than on a video game bc the images on screen in a game are usually larger (take up more pixels on the screen), appear closer, moving across the screen faster and the person playing the video game can turn the "first person view" up down left right 360 etc faster than a person looking through a scope scanning a field or watching hogs run across at 50-200 yards.
Piggybacking off that, the only difference I've noticed with thermal 30vs60 hz is when scanning fields quickly. Not on running animals at 50-200 yards. If the hogs wet running across the screen at 10 yards on a regular basis (and my scope was focused well at that distance) they would appear larger on screen/take up more pixels so the image would appear to be moving faster across the screen increasing the odds of a choppy image. Does that make sense or am I talking Djones.. I mean crazy. Jk jk

JPK

LSB Active Member
I notice the difference between 30 and 60htz scanning if I pan quickly, but who needs to pan quickly while scanning? I don't notice any choppiness shooting. When I had my Patrol I quickly discovered 30 was no good helmet mounted and even 60 was barely sufficient.