Recovered CAVITY BACK BULLET 105 Grain 6.8mm

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Shot some piggys this weekend and recovered this projectile from a 225# sow.

It was my first shot, only know this cause the bullet still has red sharpie on it. I colored my top round in my mags so i couldnt get them mixed up with something else.

75 yards quartering to me some. It entered front shoulder, broke it and 4 ribs. Then 3 ribs on the opposite side stopping between ribs and hide.

Really impressed with these.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice!! Did you weigh it after recovery/cleaning? Sounds promising.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Old SSA brass 1.675"
Tula 223 Primers
105gr CBB @2.285"
AA2200

29.5 Very light Swipe
30 Swipe
30.5 Primer is missing......
Wouldnt go any higher since primer didnt want to stay in place.

I settled on 29gr since i didnt want any issues.

Little Dillon 550 Goodness

Last edited:

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This boar weighed 160# and knocked him on his butt with one round to the blood spot on neck.

Completely forgot to take pics of the sow. Plus it was already 2am and had alot left to do. Got in bed by 5:30 that morning. Turned alarms off and put phone on silent. Slept till noon and tried them again that night with no luck.

Agree, I think the CBB may be the best bullet out there. Funny thing is these hunting bullets may be the most accurate bullets too.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Any idea if these bullets are going to start being made as factory ammo

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I also have a recovered 105 MKZ that looks the same as the one pictured. Entered one shoulder and ended up in the muscle of the opposite shoulder. Anchored the 215lbs boar in its tracks. Have only killed 4 hogs with them, 2 in their tracks and the farthest over the other 2 ran 30 yards.

Rappland

LSB Member
How are these different than monos aside from the cavity? I don't ask to make trouble, I'm beginning reloading and want great hunting bullets but these babies aren't cheap. Are they finicky to load like Barnes?

Last edited:

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The CBB's expand to a lower Velocity compared to other Monos. They arent sensitive to jump either like the barnes ive tried. The skived sides help alot with expansion and the cavity base helps keep case capacity up some compared to the solid base monos.
They arent cheap by any means but they arent expensive if you want a round that creates major damage and only needing one shot to put a critter down.
Ive bought 200 of the 105s, did a quick ladder test i mentioned above and settled on 29gr AA2200 and it shoots good so all i do now is hunt with them. The have the same POI as my handloaded 115gr Noslers so i use them to check zero on occasion.

I still forgot to weigh it.. Ill try and do that tonight...

Rappland

LSB Member
Would you recommend a rookie reloader try some? Ive heard Barnes TSX is tricky to load and I'm assume these are the same.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The CBB is easier to load for than the Barnes. Just start well below list powder charges and work your way up.

nonnieselman

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Just start low and work your powder up to be safe.
I find alot of times ill work up till i see pressure and back off 1 - 0.5 grains of powder and thats the sweet spot with 223, 6.8, 22-250, 243, 308, 270, and 300WM.
Dont forget that temperature will cause pressure to increase or decrease. So if you work up a really good load in the winter (30*) and then in the summer you might blow a primer or stick a case (110*).
I always do my ladder test in the summer to be safe. But certian powders like CFE223 sometimes increase pressure at colder temps, weird things..

But yea order 50 or 100 bullets and give them a try.
Or if you just want to get your feet wet, order some of these cheaper bullets and tinker before stepping up to the CBB's.
6.8 (.277) 115 grain Nosler Custom Competition BTHP

Rappland

LSB Member
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to load some 120 SST to start before trying these CBB. Their cheaper and I know I can kill pigs with them.

Jefe

LSB Member
Does CBB offer a full on round, or only bullets? I don't have any reloading equipment yet.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As of right now just the bullets but I believe they were looking into have some ammunition at some point