Purchasing 1st thermal

Mattg1500

LSB Member
I have been checking all around on here and other sites trying to help me but all i got was a headache from all the information. I would like to be around $3k. I do not know if 12microns is better than 17 if tau 2 is better than boson etc. From my search on here i came up with a few scopes, please give any info or tips. Thanks! It will be used for hogs, shots under 200yds mainly, wooded areas,swamp some fields.
Armasight zeus 336 3-12x50
Pulsar trail xq50 or xq38
Pulsar helion xq50f
Flir pts 536
These are what i came up with. Image ID is key to me as i want to accurately id a hog,deer,etc. So i guess thats resolution?

Last edited:

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You should look up Brian Shaffer or HdFireman and PM them your questions. They do a good job of explaining the benefits of the models and how to compare them.

HotRod61

LSB Member
This is one of I’ve been looking at also. Thanks for info on who to contact.

chthump

LSB Member
Here's my 2cents, i have a couple of 336's and a 640 Armasight, i loved the first 336 3x50mm so much, about a year later i bought another, same exact specs on paper but one is darker and not as clear as the other ( been using thermals since about 2005, i know how to focus,adjust,diopter,objective and menu settings), i then bought a 336 5x75mm much better for longer shots, less fov for close up
3x and 5x are impressive,but every night is different, hunidity, temperature, rain, snow,even the sunshine during the day affects the clarity if thermal at night

Based on my limited experience , since the 2. 336's are a little different, when using the the 640 its much clearer/sharper but on many occasions i could see an object (smaller targets, at rangrs out to 300-400 yards) eith the 336 and it wasn't there with the 640, but i only have experience with one 640, don't know if they vary,
I use one 336 as a spotter, 640 is mounted on ar grendel, 336x5 mounted on 556, have taken shots out past 200yds with both, you can tell the difference betwen cow, coyote, skunk, hog
No regrets. Biggest thing to me was the environment, one night it looks so impressive, then the next night your embarrassed at the performance

Mattg1500

LSB Member
I think i saw a post from Brian S that said the 640 is more clear at native mag? But close to 336 once zoomed. I will only use this a few times a year, maybe 6.

Mattg1500

LSB Member
Opticsplanet has the pulsar trail xq50 for 3700 and 10% off. Thats more than the zeus 336 but it seems like i see more posts about the pulsars than the armasights. Is the xq50 a better scope?

chthump

LSB Member
Yep once the 640 is zoomed ,it starts to pixelate (not sure if thats a word) then its comparable to the 336 at native vision, the 336 5x, is impressive, you just loose a lot of your fov, each has there place, i have no experience with other thermals, my responses are my personal hands on experience, ive heard some say they've had priblems with the srmasigts, i got my 336 way to wetin a rain once, got the on/off switch wet, wouldn't turn off, it was repaired quickly, no cost

From iphone, lots of typos

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You should look up Brian Shaffer or HdFireman and PM them your questions. They do a good job of explaining the benefits of the models and how to compare them.
You seem to be leaving someone very important out of your answers lol.

chthump

LSB Member
Yep Brian knows more than most , i figured he would drop in, still out shooting pigs i guess

There was one other guy on here, can't recall his name, something to do with law enforcement

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Mattg1500

LSB Member
Yep Brian knows more than most , i figured he would drop in, still out shooting pigs i guess

There was one other guy on here, can't recall his name, something to do with law enforcement
Ha i watched many youtube vids of texaslawman before i came to this site. His video on rifle selection made me build a 6.8. You guys in Tx are badass at killin hogs thats why I came here to learn!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Pulsar trail xq50 or xq38
Pulsar helion xq50f
Flir pts 536
These are what i came up with. Image ID is key to me as i want to accurately id a hog,deer,etc. So i guess thats resolution?

The XQ38 is going to be your best bet that is close to price you qouted. Not only will it have the best image but also the best features like one shot zero, battery, pixel repair, on board recording, and definitely the better customer service if you ever do have an issue.

The main drawback to pulsar right now is supply they are always on backorder. Optics planet list them on sale but most of the time they are backordered for a long time.

I will have my first shipment of PULSAR scopes in the next week or two. I have not publicly announced this but I am retiring from law enforcement and opening my own online store. It will start with night vision and thermal, and will carry all major brands. My goal is to provide what most do not. Real world expertise with all the brands in hunting environments. There are a few stores that use the units in the field, but 99% have not used them to the extent I have, and most have no clue how they really work in the field.

All other night vision and thermal stores are being removed as vendors from Lone Star Boars along with anyone pushing products for non vendors here. This may be why some others have not chimed in on this thread they are employed by stores that are not vendors or vendors that have been removed.

I will make an official announcement across all my forums, and social media platforms including this one in the coming days/weeks. But figured I would give y'all heads up since it all started here.

Mattg1500

LSB Member
The XQ38 is going to be your best bet that is close to price you qouted. Not only will it have the best image but also the best features like one shot zero, battery, pixel repair, on board recording, and definitely the better customer service if you ever do have an issue.

The main drawback to pulsar right now is supply they are always on backorder. Optics planet list them on sale but most of the time they are backordered for a long time.

I will have my first shipment of PULSAR scopes in the next week or two. I have not publicly announced this but I am retiring from law enforcement and opening my own online store. It will start with night vision and thermal, and will carry all major brands. My goal is to provide what most do not. Real world expertise with all the brands in hunting environments. There are a few stores that use the units in the field, but 99% have not used them to the extent I have, and most have no clue how they really work in the field.
Is it worth saving up and getting the xq50? Will the larger obj make that much of a difference, and the higher native mag? Or will the 38 suit my needs

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is it worth saving up and getting the xq50? Will the larger obj make that much of a difference, and the higher native mag? Or will the 38 suit my needs

The only difference is native magnification if you hunt thick areas then the 38 will be better if you hunt more open country the 50 will be better.

Msnix123

LSB Member
Sounds like you're in same situation I was in around December. I had a similar budget and I wanted something I could use to kill hogs in wooded areas, while taking shots under 200 yds. I went with the Pulsar trail XQ38 and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure the 640 units are clearer/crisper at longer distances, but the XQ38 does just fine. I have never used the XQ50, but I do not have any issues differentiating between deer and pigs at 200 yds and in.

Here are a few short videos from my Trail

Last edited by a moderator:

Mattg1500

LSB Member
Sounds like you're in same situation I was in around December. I had a similar budget and I wanted something I could use to kill hogs in wooded areas, while taking shots under 200 yds. I went with the Pulsar trail XQ38 and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure the 640 units are clearer/crisper at longer distances, but the XQ38 does just fine. I have never used the XQ50, but I do not have any issues differentiating between deer and pigs at 200 yds and in. If I were you I'd reach out to ******** at Third Coast Thermals (He's mentioned on this site a good bit).

Here are a few short videos from my Trail

how far where those hogs in the videos? The image was great!