LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The mono pod is alot different than mine, I like that tripod, can you post the info on it and where to find? Thanks for the review.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use same one but in bi-pod. The only thing I don't like about it, is it can rattle a little. Tried to tighten it down but can't figure out. Great vid man.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ed, on one of my bipods, I wrapped one leg in a bit of foam rubber, and duct tape. Now the legs don't bang together.

TLM, nice vid! I bought my tripod version because of seeing how you used your tripod in the field. I like it. It is a bit heavy and bulky, but it does everything as promised!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks again for your time and trouble. I have never considered a tri-pod before this and I thought the trigger stick mechanism was just a gimmic. I have used a Cabelas bi-pod for a couple years and like it, but it is not as versatile. My only comment is during your video you continuously put the rifle up to the wrong shoulder. :D

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great video Lawman. I run a monopod now and I've been considering the tripod for a while.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys one thing I forgot to mention is in the winter if you carry it without gloves the aluminum will suck the heat out of you, but the handle is rubber coated and did not have that effect.

Frank from the primos page.

Jim Shockey Tall Tripod
With just one hand and the pull of a trigger, you can adjust the Primos Trigger Stick® to your desired height. The Trigger Stick® is a lightweight height-adjustable gun rest and optical gear mount, perfect for kneeling or standing. It comes equipped with a detachable V yoke. The Trigger Stick® fits 1/4″-20 & 3/8″-16 threaded fixtures for securing optical gear. It is perfect for cameras, spotting scopes, binoculars, laser range finders and almost any other mono pod mountable device.
MSRP $195.95 can be found quite cheaper

• 360° rotating V yoke
  • Removable V yoke
  • Trigger lock
  • Improved fluid handle movement
  • Extreme leg angle adjustments
  • Whisper quiet telescoping legs
  • Stronger, lighter 7075 aluminum legs for easy carry
  • Adjust from 24″ to 62″
Tall Monopod gen 2

With just one hand and the pull of a trigger, you can adjust the Primos Trigger Stick® to your desired height. The Trigger Stick® is a lightweight height-adjustable gun rest and optical gear mount, perfect for kneeling or standing. It comes equipped with a detachable V yoke. The Trigger Stick® fits 1/4″-20 & 3/8″-16 threaded fixtures for securing optical gear. It is perfect for cameras, spotting scopes, binoculars, laser range finders and almost any other mono pod mountable device.
MSRP $82.95 can be found cheaper

• 360° rotating V yoke
  • Removable V yoke
  • Trigger lock
  • Improved fluid handle movement
  • Whisper quiet telescoping legs
  • Stronger, lighter 7075 aluminum legs for easy carry
  • Adjust from 33″ to 65″

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I found it for $120, the tripod, not bad for all it does.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I usually just go old school off hand, but after playing with a buddies Jim Shockey Tall Tripod it has gone on my xmas list. I was really impressed with the smoothness of the adjustments and how fast and easy it was to get into a comfortable shooting position.

Thanks for a very detailed vid as always. BTW good idea to remind us to like because I tend to forget.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I usually just go old school off hand, but after playing with a buddies Jim Shockey Tall Tripod it has gone on my xmas list. I was really impressed with the smoothness of the adjustments and how fast and easy it was to get into a comfortable shooting position.

Thanks for a very detailed vid as always. BTW good idea to remind us to like because I tend to forget.

The reason I ask to like and subscribe is Youtube rates which videos show up first in their search by Likes, percentage of view time, subscribers, and last is view count. It used to be view count that was most important. But people were putting up videos with crazy titles that sounded interesting but then the video was nothing causing their numbers to be high but no one actually liked the video.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great review. I bought the same model a few weeks ago after doing some reviews (came down to the jim Shockey tall or the bog pod). Haven't used it in the field yet but it works really well in my living room.

Only thing I will comment on is that in your review, you mentioned that u have left the tripod in the back of your truck several times and it still works like new... Well FYI, while searching, before i made the purchase, I remember someone else saying that they left theirs out in the weather and the internals got a little rusty and doesn't work as well now.

Frank, Amazon was the cheapest I saw when I got mine a few weeks ago. http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Shockey-Edition-Trigger-24-62-Inch/dp/B00BD5TC5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407636401&sr=8-1&keywords=jim shockey tripod

ive been shooting free handed (w/a sling) this summer and that has accounted for at least 1 lost kill. although i havent used this tripod in the field yet, im sure that lost kill would have been a confirmed one if i had the tripod then. its very sturdy and provides a much more steady bulls eye shot than shooting free handed. And while it does weigh more than a monopod, its not "heavy".. but unless someone rigs up a pretty cool carrying device for it, then you will be one less free hand in the field while using these walking on foot.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I got it Blake, Thanks. Heck I have the Gen1 Mono and did not even know a gen 2 had come out. I carry mine all the time but can hold pretty steady with a sling and tend to shoot that way most of the time.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Only thing I will comment on is that in your review, you mentioned that u have left the tripod in the back of your truck several times and it still works like new... Well FYI, while searching, before i made the purchase, I remember someone else saying that they left theirs out in the weather and the internals got a little rusty and doesn't work as well now.

Guess I should clarify my truck is a SUV so the back is enclosed. My back of the truck reference was to it surviving bouncing around with the corn and getting sandblasted with the windows down back there. Now it has been totally soaked by rain many times, no issues yet I do not let thing like rain keep me from hunting. Maybe it never froze up because I use it regularly year round???

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Blake, I've gone through two of them because I left them in the bed of my truck and they rusted up. I've been using a Bog Pod for a while, but it is not as quick to set up. I will get me another Primos, but I will not leave it out in the elements.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Blake, I've gone through two of them because I left them in the bed of my truck and they rusted up. I've been using a Bog Pod for a while, but it is not as quick to set up. I will get me another Primos, but I will not leave it out in the elements.

May I quote you on this?

Last edited:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
my next one will be a mono-pod. Standing one legged

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the pod, not me!

BigBoss

SUS VENATOR CLUB
Another great use for the primos sticks is in the deer blind. With the rifle firearm resting on window opening you put the stick under the stock right behind the pistol grip and adjust elevation using the squeeze grip or by sliding the stick forward or backward to raise or lower crosshairs. This is also a great aid to helping young kids hit the animal they are shooting at. I gave them as Christmas presents to my son, his wife, my daughter and my girlfriend. We all use them in the stand.
Also helps when an animal will not present a shot for a long time. Stick will hold the rifle up so you don't get tired of holding it in the shooting position.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I left my tripod out in the weather when I hunted last Wed. I'll go back this week to check game camera and retrieve shooting sticks.. Hopefully, a bit of oil will keep it working well and it's not too late and already messed up from the rain and humidity. I'll report back with results of what a week in the elements did to them. (It has rained a few times since and was very humid for a couple days before that.