Ooowww my achin' back! (Drag Technique?)

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey guys. It's been a while. Startin to have some reasonable success for this area. Got 2 girls Tuesday evening with the bigger one coming in at 210 weighed. One of my l'il honey holes is literally down in a big hole. I can get the 4 wheeler down there but it's pretty hairy. Lots of up-n-down and a short, very steep hill with a turn at the top. The bottom is all short pines, hay straw and all the sawtooth briers ya want except for the area the hogs have wallowed out. About a 1/4 acre-ish.
Anyways, tryin to get these things up on the 4 wheeler just ain't happenin and not sure it'd be such a good idea with the terrain. My processor suggested a plastic sled. Was curious what you guys are using to haul these big buggers around. Thanks! Schneeks.. d:^)

Attachments

• CampFlat2girls.jpg
    CampFlat2girls.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 8

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just make sure they are on the front and not the back if going uphill, could get a bit exciting.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've used a 2-wheel hand truck from Harbor Freight. They periodically put them on sale for about $40. It can still be an effort to move them over rough ground or uphill, but it's better than dragging them!
Of course, nowadays I just remove the back straps and leg quarters pretty much where they drop so I seldom need to transport one.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've used a 2-wheel hand truck from Harbor Freight. They periodically put them on sale for about $40. It can still be an effort to move them over rough ground or uphill, but it's better than dragging them!
Of course, nowadays I just remove the back straps and leg quarters pretty much where they drop so I seldom need to transport one.
He looks like I felt this morning!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
there are cheap sleds for snow play you can get, a tarp, a plastic culvert cut in half,piece of corrugated tin roofing, lost of things to aid rather than your back or putting them on the ATV

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ice Fishing sled - 35 bucks

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...8-f3c8-54f6-8ee5-6f9fb8b405a2&pf_rd_i=3417661

$20
Terrain Deer Drag (Olive Green, 5.4-Feet)

71uA1weAhhL._SL1500_.jpg

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks much, fellas. Miz Kris has got one of the Terrain deer drags en route via Amazon. The least expensive viable option to try I think. Tried a deer cart ages ago. One of those jobs that folds in half and has a coupla bicycle lookin wheels on it. The thing was wayyy unstable on uneven ground and made for a lot of cursing.
Read about one guy using an old car hood. Seemed a l'il much for tight spaces. :p
Some kindof sled may be the ticket for keepin that load low. If it's already on the ground it can't fall too much if it's reasonably secured I reckon.
When I hauled these two out I ended up using a ratchet strap cinched up real tight around their necks and hooking to that with a tow strap. Kinda wondered if a stout meat hook jammed up thru the bottom jaw would be secure enough for such duty.
I'm sure there's more than a few ways to drag a hog around the place. Hehehe. d;^) Schneeks..

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
for $20 I just ordered one myself. I do have 2 meat hooks and that is how I hang them through the jaw to clean, I just think the drag will be slick on the bottom and easy to drag or pull

Schneeky

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
for $20 I just ordered one myself. I do have 2 meat hooks and that is how I hang them through the jaw to clean, I just think the drag will be slick on the bottom and easy to drag or pull
I think you're correct. It's much easier dealing with them at camp where there's some decent light and a hanging rack.
I like Homer's video about quartering them out on site. But mostly mine keel over in the corn pile and I'm thinkin a dead hog there may be detrimental to success for the near future of that spot... or not. d;^) Schneeks..

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tractor with front-end loader and grapple in place of bucket. Don't even have to get off the tractor to pick 'em up!:)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
tractor is a bit more expensive than $20 and mine is 3 miles away or more, so sled it is!