NV under $1000 worth owning?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A friend has just bought the Photon NV and he seems to like it, says he can see well with it at night. I am sure others will chime in directly. Good luck. BANG BANG!!

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Friend of mine just picked up an X-sight and seems to like it. He's about to push me over the edge for something..
Had a friend get one and it eats batteries in 10 minutes and absolutely does not work. I guess if you get one that you can shoot and if filming is your deal and that works also then you are good. This is the 3rd one I have seen purchased and they do not work or eat batteries. BANG BANG!!

So if you get one that semi works they are alright but the folks that have the Photons I have heard no complaints, and they really seem to like them.

wigwamitus

LSB Active Member
I've been trying to get the Bushy 3x (or 4.5x) digital Equinox Z to work behind a dot sight. And I got it working in the day but had a problem getting the 3x to work at night. I now think that was because I had to minimize the brightness setting to get it to work in the day and I need to reset that to the other end of the brightness spectrum to get it to work at night.
The Bushy 3x + rifle mount is about $250, but then you need a dot sight in front to use as your reticle. The TRS-32 they recommend is not ideal as it is a 5 moa dot! So I now have my EOTECH (1 moa dot) mounted on my test rifle that should work better. Of course the cost of an EOTECH being around $500 would put the total cost at $750 versus the Photo $600. But I suspect there are some dot sights out there between the TRS-32 ($100) and the EOTECH ($500) that would work. So call it $250 for a decent dot sight, then $500 total. That might not be better than the Photo for $600. But that is about where the landscape looks for me.
Some people say "X-Sight fixed now" others say "not". I guess the 2 I briefly tested last January were "pre-fixed" ones. We couldn't see much beyond 25 yds at night with those and we were in the front yard of a house with lights on! We could see about 400yds during the day time.
The T-20 should extend the viewing distance of any of these digital sights. I took the Bushy 4.5x out to pasture and could see terrain at 500yds with the T-20 on an overcast night.
From (open) bedroom window, with 4.5x bushy and internal illuminator I could see a ridge line at 385yds but not the cattle feeder on top of that ridge line. With the T-20 I could see the cattle feeder.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just paint a dot on the lens of the Bushnell.
Still waiting for you to figure it out so I don't have to. lol

Drift

LSB Member
There are threads on this forum about the X cite. None of them good.
A buddy of mine got himself one.. then the other when it didn't work well..then he sent both back. From what I could tell, the x cite works well enough in the middle of a pasture with consistent illumination from above. and the t 20 ir light helped in the shadows a lot. but.. we were hunting in mixed cover-with bright white Florida sand in patches on the ground reflecting light up -mixed e with darker grass on the ground -then dark tree lines with shadows again with reflective sand on the ground ... The optic did not perform as well as he had hoped

JPK

LSB Active Member
The Photon XT is not a bad option in that price range. I used on until I spent the $'s on thermal.

The Photon works well from a set position, like a stand over looking a feeder or bait site, not as well when on the move.

Fwiw, I have a Photon XT 4.6 in a Burris PEPR mount, with a T20 IR light that mounts to the Photon, plus 1850 rechargeable batteries and the charger for sale for $600, all in.

Let me know if you are interested.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After sending 2 X sights back and waiting another 2 years there are sill issues with 50% of them, the made in China proves too true for me so would try anything else first.