Nikon P223--The Verdict is in!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nikon P223 is not good. (Politely)
Won't hold zero overnight.
Now it won't return to zero, clicking turrets to bring it back to the right did not get any movement from reticle, I banged on it with my hand and tried again and it started moving over. Bad scope bad scope.
*After 2 hrs stalking hogs last night, got 60 yds from 2 hogs, no shot because cattle were right next to them. Continued on, right at last light 7 hogs near my truck on way back(of course). 80 yd shot with fence post for a platform(perfect rest) Head shot on largest sow, hit to the left again in shoulder, away they go, a few more out of irritation and no recovery.
Checked bore and scope alignment, reticle off to left again, 3rd time same result. External turrets had not moved. Scope is garbage.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It might be repairable/replaceable for a reasonable price.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It might be repairable/replaceable for a reasonable price.
I have to say I little confidence in these companies, everything is lowest bid these days. This scope is made in the Philippines. You may laugh but I stuck an old Tasco 4x Scope on there this morning. With just a couple clicks it is bore sighted and the clarity is superior to that Nikon. I am going to go pound some hogs with it on there and see about a nicer set up at some point but right now I don't really have extra cash for a good quality scope. I have a lot of patience with people but with tools that don't work I have very little use for them.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Mine is doing the same thing. Sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Lost the largest boar I've ever shot at three nights ago. He was facing to the right feeding under a feeder at a little over 100 yards. He was one third of the feeder leg height. Sitting in a box blind with a great rest I just knew he was toast. Put the cross hairs right behind the ear. Sent the bullet and heard the thwack of it striking home. Boar took off like a shot. He had been the only animal at this feeder since we had rain. I measured the front to back foot marks on the ground. 42" inches. I heard him crash in the brush and figured I would recover him the next day. I looked for two hours with no blood or hog. I found where he nose planted twice and was able to follow his line of travel for about sixty yards. I went back and checked the rifle. Hitting 2 inches high and 4 inches left. Probably hit him in front of the shoulder right in the plate. I'm replacing mine ASAP

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I tried to convince myself (we do that) that there were just weird circumstances that were causing me to make a mistake or bump the scope and anything else I could come up with to be sure and give the scope a fair shake, but the evidence has been overwhelmingly that this scope has issues.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good to know but it still sucks all that effort to be defeated by equipment...

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I sent the scope to Nikon today. We will see how that works out. I have no receipt or warranty card. This will be a good test to see how they treat it. I have read good things about their repair/replace service and of course bad reviews also.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Check out Primary Arms. I think they're the best when it comes to quality with budget in mind.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I bought mine from Primary Arms. They have the date of purchase on file I believe.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I sent the scope to Nikon today. We will see how that works out. I have no receipt or warranty card. This will be a good test to see how they treat it. I have read good things about their repair/replace service and of course bad reviews also.
I've had nothing but bad experiences, couldn't even get warranty work done with a receipt. Wanted to charge $40 just to fix the eye piece of my binos that were 1 year old at the time. I took it apart and fixed it my self for the price of 2 hours, a roll pin and a couple dabs of blue licorice.

I hope things have changed since then and you get your scope warranted easily.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've had nothing but bad experiences, couldn't even get warranty work done with a receipt. Wanted to charge $40 just to fix the eye piece of my binos that were 1 year old at the time. I took it apart and fixed it my self for the price of 2 hours, a roll pin and a couple dabs of blue licorice.

I hope things have changed since then and you get your scope warranted easily.
I hope it works out better than that for me.lol When I get it back I may just sell it, not sure yet, we will see.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I had good luck with all the Nikon's except the AR series.

I even had to return a P22 because the turrets were marked wrong. Nikon not only fixed it but they sent me a set of Prostaff 7 binoculars at no additional charge.

A lot of companies have optics (lower end) made in the Phillipines or China, because cheap sells!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Waiting to get that scope back I stuck an old Tasco 4x on my AR--Bore sighted, went out and dumped 4 hogs with it, glass is clear, I like it. lol
But, bought another Nikon yesterday a P223 in 3x32, short small scope, guy said it was new(uh-huh). It was night time so it looked fine and unused and for $50.00 good to have as a spare. Looking through it today it's like having cataracts, I have never seen a scope so hazy. It's getting sent in also. The scope looks brand new.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM,
It may seem funny but that old 4x Tasco is clear and bright and a pretty stout scope. I like it and may just keep it on there, most of my shots will be under 100 yds and it is quick on target and seems real bright in low light. Reticles are large and easy to see. Not sure where it came from, was sitting on my kitchen table for a year or more. Must have taken it off another gun at some point. Too much wheelin' and dealin'.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
For those of you having trouble with your Nikon's and customer service, contact Bart Hege, Nikon Prostaff @ bbk940@verizon.net.

He is a great resource for the Sportsman and has help me with any issues I've had.

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
We are using the Bushnell 1-4x24, got it from PSA during black friday for $99. Only put 100 rounds through it, but it's holding zero so far. RattleSnake Dan, please tell me more about the Tasco 4x you have. Building an AR for my little one and it might be something to look into.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We are using the Bushnell 1-4x24, got it from PSA during black friday for $99. Only put 100 rounds through it, but it's holding zero so far. RattleSnake Dan, please tell me more about the Tasco 4x you have. Building an AR for my little one and it might be something to look into.
I can't tell you much about it really. I don't know where it came from. lol. I buy and sell a lot of stuff, I can say that it is a Pronghorn, older Tasco. I have a .270 that I glass bedded 25 yrs ago, threw on a Tasco Pronghorn 3x9x40 and shot a dozen elk, countless deer, bunches of pronghorn antelope, piles of pigs, countless varmints with it. Two decades of total annihilation, trucks, 4 wheelers, borrowed out the gun and that scope always came back spot on. Finally smacked the back of it hard enough I had to replace it but what a great scope for like 79.00.