New guy TX Panhandle

Jethro

My name is Jeff, here in the SE corner of the TX Panhandle. New to the forum here, but been killing hogs for a while now. I do most of my shooting here in Collingsworth and Childress counties. We have some pretty decent pigs around here, lots of crop damage, lots of population control work. Look forward to talking with you guys.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Look forward to reading stories of pigs dying!

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the party.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Jetho. I just got access to 5,000 acres of farm land around Memphis,TX. You that far southeast?

Jethro

Yes I am. I am in Wellington, 30 miles east of Memphis. There are lots of hogs, and some dang big ones over around Memphis/Plaska. I have some properties to hunt over around Childress as well.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes I am. I am in Wellington, 30 miles east of Memphis. There are lots of hogs, and some dang big ones over around Memphis/Plaska. I have some properties to hunt over around Childress as well.

Fella that owns the place said he's ate up with them and not much of a hunter. Last I talked to him said he's seeing sounders of 50+ during the day. I'll be heading up there first week of May to check it out.

Jethro

Blackstone- Folks are fixing to be planting peanuts here real soon. Some will probably start this week. That is the time the crops are most vunerable, from the time they are planted until they get up good 2-3 weeks later. The hogs will get in a row and just go down it, eating all the seed. I don't know if he plants peanuts or not, probably not if he has that many hogs. Sounders of 40-50 are not that uncommon in some of those areas over there.

Sounds like a good place to hunt with thermal/NV, or possibly run them with an SUV, depending on if he has planted yet.

If you need another gun just holler. Most nights I should be able to make a run. I've got NV, good lights, and a small rack with a swivel chair I can put in the back of the truck.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jethro,
I know he said he was planting in the next 2 weeks but he said they destroy his cotton crop as well. I’ll find out what all is there when I make the trip in 2 weeks.

Jethro

Sounds like they are thick over there. Hogs will eat cottonseed for sure, usually it is where population densities are high, in my experience.

I have about 10,000 acres or so I call coyotes on over here in Collingsworth/Childress counties, but not much of my coyote ground has pigs on it. A few of them do. I have shot opportunistic pigs here and there for years, but now I am starting to more actively search for them. I grew up here, dad was the district conservationist here for years, so I know quite a few folks. Currently I am working on talking to people I know here and expanding my property access to cover more pig specific places, mostly more south towards Childress and east towards OK.

Jethro

Sounds good, I sent you my number.

My brother in law should be planting peanuts later this week or early next week. He has 2500 acres along the river in NW Collingsworth county. Pigs used to be bad out there, but now they fly that whole section of river with helicopters pretty regular, and he doesn't have much trouble any more. He has one circle though that there is a decent boar coming to, I'm going to try and slip out there and take care of him in the next week or so. My son is supposed to let me know when that plant that circle.

Jethro

Well, made a scouting run deep down along the river out at my BIL's, and there is more hog sign out there than I thought. I went on back to a pasture I hadn't been to in several years, and looks to be some decent opportunity there. That pasture is the route they will be using to get up to the peanuts fields. Planting is set for later next week as long as thing go according to plan. Maybe Sunday I can get out there and get a bait site set up in a good spot. Found a good sized hog trap out there, long since abandoned, partially covered in blow sand. Looked like it had been in a good spot. I may use that area to set up in.

Had a young coyote commit suicide while I was on my scouting trip. She sat there and let me drive right up on her before she ran. I led her a little much though as she was running though the sagebrush. 87 VMAX out of the 243 blew her face off. Second coyote I have killed out there in 2 days.

I'm leaving today for OKC, my wife's work has an annual crawfish boil every April. Of course on the way I will have to stop at Gene Sears in El Reno and stock up on reloading supplies for the more hard to find items I haven't been able to source local. It is part of the annual pilgrimage, lol.