NEOWISE 10

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked to me like a sign to make tails fall. Nice pile of kill for a night. That one hog was tough... just didn't want to go down and stay there. Good job keeping an eyeball on it.

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ten sounds like a good haul to me! Y’all are making a good team. You should be making some landowners happy. And a good hunt with friends, that’s the best part.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good job of keeping the hogs socially distant from the cattle when you start shooting.
Ten is a nice haul!
Interesting that Ben's .308 didn't reach out and touch the hog at 200+ yards. It sure looked like it was on target. I'm going to have to review the ballistics for my .308 16" barrel.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This is why I like a 200yd. zero. It might shoot a touch high at 100, but between zero-200 it should be lethal. I was a bit surprised too, seeing a .308 drop that much from a 14" barrel.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See, I keep a 100 yard zero and nailed the hog just fine. The reason why I don't like a 200 yard zero is because few of my shots are at 200 yards. Why zero for a distance you don't shoot the most? Ben's problem was too heavy of a bullet for too little velocity, resulting in too much drop.

Here is a .308 zeroed at 200 and a shot at 80-85 yards. It was going to be a head shot, but if you don't compensate, the shot goes high. I don't like having to correct for two directions based on distance.
DSC00051.JPG

Now, had Ben had a 200 yard zero, he would have been needing to hold 2.5-3" low for most of his other shots that night. He should have only needed to correct for the 210 yard hog and the 40 yard hog instead of all the other shots.