My 1st Buck

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I admit Im not 1/2 as committed compared to most deer hunters. Last Thursday morning was the first time this year I actually woke up early and sat in the blind for a couple of hours. After sitting and looking at nothing but an empty hayfield I pack up and decided to check another feeder in the back. On my way out of the hay field I spotted 15 - 20 deer on the west side of the property. They were all running around chasing each other, As I approached with the truck they all darted into the brush at the property line. I thought to myself, Yep thats where Im going to sit Sunday morning.

I went to bed at 9, and was up at 5 am. I pulled the Thermal scope off my AR to use as a spotter. I decided to cut strait through the hay field instead of using the trail along the fence line to approach the spot I was going to setup. After stopping to spot check the hayfield with the thermal. I spotted four deer bedded down in a draw that runs through the property 300 yards from the spot I wanted to setup at.

With less then 30 min before it was going to start getting light out, I decided to setup and hunt out of the back of the truck instead of setting up a popup blind. With one door in the back open, and a side window cracked I was ready. I had my Tikka .243 & a Buckmaster Nikon 9x scope, Barnes 80 gr ttsx, resting on a Harris bipod. I peaked out the side window several times at the 4 bedded down deer, and just as it was starting to get light enough to see them without the thermal, they started making there way through the draw towards my position.

It didnt take 5 min before they were in view from the bench from the back of the Suburban, and the first in line was a good sized Doe. Sigh, I thought to myself, "Please let one of them be a buck". Yep next one in line was a buck, With my heart pounding, and trying to keep steady under a full adrenaline dump I pulled the trigger. Boom! And there off, He and the 3 Does run the rest of the 30 yards into the brush.

I was sure I had missed. I must have jerked the trigger. I decided to sit a bit longer to see if anything else would come out. After taking the 18x scope off my .308 and mounting the thermal in its place, nature called. By this time I was so fed up and frustrated I decided to take a quick look into the brush. I wasn't sure of the exact location they darted into the woods, so I picked one of the first trails I approached on the way and walked in 20 yards. Nothing. Back out to the field I walked another 10 yards to discover another heavy trail. After walking in 15 yards give or take I spotted a brown fir spot behind a tree. After taking a few more steps closer, Yep there he is. With a lung shot, there was very little blood on the ground.

A good friend close by, helped me gut, skin, and quarter out this nice little 8 point. His wife chicken fried the tenders as we were finishing up.

1st buck.jpg

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow! Good job! That's a good story and a great looking buck.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice... tender eatin' feller right there. Congrats!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good for you, venison in the freezer

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
For a fur quality tan that will last the best thing to do is take it to a taxidermy person and let them take care of it BANG BANG!!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Or you can brain tan it...if you're real adventurous. Most animals have enough brain matter to tan their hide ( not like tan your hide) but you know. Indians used to do it that way.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Or you can brain tan it...if you're real adventurous. Most animals have enough brain matter to tan their hide ( not like tan your hide) but you know. Indians used to do it that way.

Darn, I cooked the head yesterday, the bugs are chewing away at what I couldn't cut off.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just took a peak at wikki how, ya that would be way to much work. I got the skull why do I need the hide......
Yep lots of work, especially on your 1st hide. Congratulations on the beautiful buck David! Thanks for sharing the story

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
congratulations! good for you.. nice buck.

Last edited:

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that's my kind of hunt!!

I have to admit, like all of my successful hunts out of the back of the truck it was fairly painless, and much much easier taking the shot from the bench.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Congrats.

When most guys say they are shooting off a bench they are talking a wood or cement bench, maybe a portable folding bench, sand bags, a spotting scope, paper targets, maybe some swinging steel targets. I think I like your bench shooting better!

JPK

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I cut the legs off a old cheap dining room table with metal legs to fit in the back of the truck. The top was in rough shape so I glued 2 layers of 3/4 plywood together for a extra heavy top. I rested the butt of the gun on a pillow and was as low as I could be, and held still while the Doe was checking me out. The buck didn't pay attention to the doe frozen looking strait at me to see if I was moving and a threat.

1truck.jpg

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I didn't catch that it was a suburban in the first post and just assumed you were in the back of a pickup.