More corn field hogs

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A fellow that does some property management I know has a duck hunting property that is adjacent to a federal wildlife refuge ( federal hog breeding ground) who asked me to kill the hogs in a standing corn field planted for ducks in an old catfish pond.

The pond is about 20 acres but not every inch is planted in corn. There's a 10x30 yard wide unplanted area in the middle for some reason, and the north end of the pond is not planted. The old man down down the road gave strict instructions not to plant corn because the hogs would get it all.

Corn plated for ducks in my area is planted in June. Last night was my third time to go check on the corn and I could now see some hog damage now that the ears of corn are starting to mature. Shortly after twilight last night, I began to hear the corn stalks being snapped over. These rows are planted a little wider than normal and you can walk through them without brushing against much of the leaves and making a lot of noise. So I did just that. I walked over to where I thought the sound was coming from and then down the lane. When I finally saw them I was probably 35 yards away.

This is going to be a tough place to shoot them. I didn't recover either of these two that I shot. I may need to try and do what pruhdlr suggested and try and call them to the edge of the corn.

Later, I drove back the field where I had been killing them for the past 4 weeks or so. There was a good size (silent) sounder. I had to walk way down past them to be able to approach without getting winded by them. There was a bright full moon last night and I could see them with my naked eye from about 100 yards away. They were not making any noise at all, and there was not much wind at all to help keep my approach quiet, so I felt like I could only approach to within about 75 yards away to shoot.

I found four in the field and a blood trail crossing the ditch onto the another property. It took a long time to get set up from the time I first saw them, but was a lot of fun. They looked much bigger in the viewfinder than in person.

We've also got more humidity along with an east wind. White hot looked better last night and I could tell the difference in clarity of the video/viewfinder.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shoot'em, love to empty the mags!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That looks like you had a pile of fun right there. congrats on those thinning efforts. Looks like you bagged the alpha sow, the younger ones just ran in circles, in confusion, looking for leadership.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That looks like you had a pile of fun right there. congrats on those thinning efforts. Looks like you bagged the alpha sow, the younger ones just ran in circles, in confusion, looking for leadership.

That's what it looks like, but I'm not sure about the alpha or not? I watched them for a bit before I turned on the video and started shooting. I think it was one of the two larger hogs that went through in the first 20 seconds of the video.

Yes, I am thankful the admin/owner of this site puts up all the hog hunting tactic videos that he has shared. Very helpful to me.

There must be a million pounds of corn on the ground in my area right now. This particular field has a tractor with a large disk parked in it ready to go. Honestly, I'm surprised he's waited as long as he has.

Now if it were me, I would wait until I cut the soybeans, then plow the whole field at one time.....

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hogs down ... can see the can heating up real quick.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great stuff, shoot then change directions shoot again then back the other way. Those piggies did not know what to do!! Loved it, and a right nice Curly Shuffle out one of them too. Nice video fo sure liked the way you kept on throwing lead!!! BANG BANG!!!

That one laying down looked to be a big one?? They all ran like track stars!

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That video was deceiving. The biggest one did manage to get across the ditch and I never saw it. Of the four that I found dead in the field the biggest was only about 80 pounds. In general, I think they were all smaller than I expected them to be based on the video. Smallest one I found was about 5 pounds. A Chihuahua.

They keep coming to that exact spot in that field. It's crazy, that spot is becoming a coyote and hog burial ground. Hog bones and coyote skeletons everywhere.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Being down on the ground at the base of corn stalks and seeing hogs run in front of you was pretty creepy stuff!

That video was deceiving. The biggest one did manage to get across the ditch and I never saw it. Of the four that I found dead in the field the biggest was only about 80 pounds. In general, I think they were all smaller than I expected them to be based on the video. Smallest one I found was about 5 pounds. A Chihuahua.

Funny how that works. We had a some sows with piglets that turned out to be bigger piglets with piglets, LOL. Scale is important.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Being down on the ground at the base of corn stalks and seeing hogs run in front of you was pretty creepy stuff!
Tell me about it. I got down on the ground lying flat on my stomach when I shot at those two.

Creepy is an understatement. Especially when two ran ran past me just two rows over.