monster in the orchard

D

djones

stopped off at a pecan orchard of the way to the deer lease. i was expecting to see hogs, so i stopped back far enough to safely check. yep, plenty of them there. snuck up to the end of the module for one last glance before creeping into position. normally the pvs14 will tell me when it’s safe to move, but the trees cloaked the pigs in total darkness. even when i reached the turnrow, the branches kept them hidden from me. that was going to be a problem for shooting too.

i sat down and eased out from behind the trunk and slid to the middle of the row with the biggest hogs. one of them was really big. i double checked all shot opportunities just to make sure. the plan was to take out the first one and quickly swing right for a fast follow up on the other big one. problem was when i went right and fired, he had already cut left. i probably could have taken another shot, but i didn’t want to hit any trees. low risk shots on trees limits the opportunities but goes far toward getting to hunt there again.

after the first few rounds i had to keep repositioning to pan from the seated position. leading them was difficult so i tried for windows of opportunity, without much success. that is, i had a few more shots but didn’t hear any of them connect.

IMG_1236_zpszh9wyoz9.jpg

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice!! Good job Dr. Jones!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome! I got a nice fuzzy boar tonight also.

Attachments

• ratting.png
    ratting.png
    212.7 KB · Views: 14

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job, but you didn't have to put lipstick on that pig for the picture. Its still just a pig.
Nice trigger control there... but, that's a djones' lipstick transfer on that pig. :cool:

Nice piggage piled up there.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rat-attack !!! Did'ja tell her it was squirrel and cook it up for her to try? ;)
Ha.she was there...told her ssshhh..rat....pop! Very exciting...much more than hogs with thermal!

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Very good Docta Jones.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good size boar ... some nice cutters too! Happy Hunting!

D

djones

on the way to the deer lease i kept asking myself why i deer hunt when the hog hunting is good right now. i guess i feel like i need to get my money's worth.

dockta! haha. you put the lime in the coconut and shake it all up

good looking fur there snake. maybe a trophy tail?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter