Looking for leg hold snare traps

jglass

LSB Member
Even though I live in Illinois I'm receiving calls from Florida residents asking me for help because the wild hogs are destroying their lawns. Shooting the hogs is not always the option so I'm looking into trapping these lawn hogs. I drive to Florida in a motorhome so I'm limited in what I can take to Florida. For this reason I'm looking at snare type leg hold traps. Something small that I can pack away in my RV. One by American hunter is one and Select-a-catch is another leg hold trap. Are these effective or do you recommend another trap.

I could build a trap once I'm in Florida but have no place to store it when I return to Illinois. The snare traps can travel back and forth. Thanks, Jim

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Place in Iowa but can not remember name or somewhere up around there. They have been making trapping supplies forever.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Would suggest that before you use a leg hold snare cable trap,you might want to contact FWC and ask if legal since they are indiscriminate.
If legal,there could be a mininum closing stop required. If you catch a non targeted animal like a deer or someones dog it could be trouble.
If all this is legal at least consider putting up a "WARNING" sign. --- pruhdlr

jglass

LSB Member
Catching a non-target animal is my greatest concern. I'm thinking I should take a pass on the whole trapping idea. Only so many activities I can do while on vacation. I have a nice cross0bow that would be a discrete method of killing the hogs but I would need to be there at the same time the hogs are there

Last edited:

TexasTrapper

LSB Member
I've used the Hold-a-Hawg foot snare with some success. Like any type of snare or foot hold, incidentals should always be a concern especially in a neighborhood.

Couldn't you build a corral trap when you got to Florida and when you were done store the materials somewhere?

jglass

LSB Member
There is a tractor supply store close by in Florida that sells those square wire panels. Could I build a wood frame and attach sections of the wire panels to the wood. Idea is build a trap that could be erected on sight then stored in pieces when not in use. Would the hogs destroy a trap built like this. Wish I knew of someone with a welder in Florida. I could build a wood frame trap at the RV resort because it wouldn't take me long. I could probably borrow a pickup truck. My hauling capability is a Ford Focus but I think I can haul 10' 2 x 4s and still close the hatchback

Just to give you an idea what I can do. I prefabricated this blind in the RV resort. I erected it myself in the jungle, singlehandedly.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah wood framed hog traps have not worked out well, use lots of T-Posts and 6' cattle panels

TexasTrapper

LSB Member
This one is easy to construct and move if need be. 60" utility panels. Anything shorter and they will jump out. I space the T posts every 4'. The door is a plywood drop door made from 2x4 frame and 1x2's as guides. The trigger is just a rebar root stick.