Looking for a used thermal scope

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
After measuring the girth of my change jar this weekend, I am officially in the market for a bloodied thermal for my 30.06 Husqvarna.

I prefer to shoot 180 or 220 grain from the 30.06, so recoil is an issue. (I realize that I may have to pick up a .308 to accommodate this, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make).

My primary hunting ground does not have much open area; typically my longest shot would be about 125 yards.

I use a PS24 and Yukon Ranger 5x42 for spotting; the Photon on my .270 works well but the bounce from the UNV 20IR is a problem, even when shrouded.

My range is $2k-$3k; I have considered saving up more for a new model, but am reluctant to pay the immediate depreciation.

If any of you gentlemen need some cash for that well deserved upgrade, this may be your opportunity.

I would also appreciate any advice you might offer.

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, I haven't seen much in the way of used thermals. With that said, Pulsar is introducing the APEX rifle scope which half slight magnification (1.45x or 1.9x optical, but can be doubted digitally to 2.9x and 3.8x) and the prices are $2999 and $3199.
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=pulsar apex

Here is the lower end version...

UNV got a unit for testing. I don't know that they are actually in country yet and selling.

The main (only?) difference between these two scopes really is the optic (and magnification). The XD38a has a 38mm lens and the XD50a has a 50mm lens (note the vid is mislabeled as HD38a and not XD38a). Because of the rare earth component to the lenses, the lenses are often where at big part of the cost is in these units, regardless of brand.

This sort of setup would give you a functional thermal rifle scope for most normal (0-200 yards) shooting distances and certainly would be useful beyond that range for basic spotting.

.308 would be tops on the recoil for it.

Just a consideration.

What is the "bounce" that you are talking about above with the UNV20IR?

Last edited:

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the fast and detailed reply - I will look at the videos later on today...

There are often objects betwixt me and the target, usually a tree branch. The beam from my IR (or LED scope light) reflects (bounces) back.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah! Reflectivity issues. Got it. Yes, that is a problem anytime using IR illuminators when you don't have a fully open field of view.

I don't know that the Pulsars will be the answer for you, but they are going to be the best budget thermal going (based on their other products). The imagery/resolution is good. The drawback is the lack of magnification.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good points all, and appreciated.

While I prefer to buy from a member of this forum, I recognize that new may be my only option. (I am reluctant to let go of firearms or scopes myself).

Clarity indeed supersedes magnification in my situation, as I usually can leverage wind and scent control to get closer if needed - and my trusty Trigger Stick bipod for stability.

The Armasight Zeus is often mentioned on the forum; would I be better off waiting and moving up to the $3500-$4k range for something similar?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You know, you probably don't want to go less than 320 or 384 resolution. I believe you can get other scopes around $4k,but they are 160 resolution and that just may not be good enough for practical identification of targets as a base resolution.

The bottom line is that thermal isn't inexpensive. I won't say that you get what you pay for because it is a cliche and certainly isn't always correct, plus different thermal scopes of comparable cost from different manufacturers are not necessarily comparable scopes or have comparable features, but generally speaking, the more you spend, the more you get, be it in digital features, lens size (bigger is better), and base optical magnification. From what I am seeing of the current offerings online is that these are going to start around $4800 to 5000.

However, you might run with something like a clip-on such as an Armasight Apollo for about $4700. You can use it as a stand alone (I believe) or in front of another daylight scope. Talk to Aaron from here....
http://lonestarboars.com/threads/2014-thermal-night-vision-blowout-sale.2061/

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am going to sell my W-1000 due to back issues I can not carry it and a suppressor in the field with that said it is still under warranty I think for 4 to 5 months. It has never been used except for a spotting scope. I will sell for $4,500 or with video system for $4,800. A anyone interested PM me and we can talk. I think it is and excellent deal.