Last minute hunt

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Decided to go on a last minute hog hunt after being unsuccessful with my brother in law over the weekend (0% moon. Saw plenty of pigs with thermal monocular, but too dark and too much cover/brush for the NV- he tried to shoot at an eyeball reflecting IR light, but missed).

So I got there, and after about 5 minutes spotted a hog with my thermal monocular that eating corn leftover from the weekend. Stalked up to about 75 yards and took my shot. There was some tall grass in the way, but there was just enough ambient light to make out the dark outline of the pig through the nv and I could tell which side his head was on. So I took a high shoulder shot, trying to clear the tall grass and also break his spine so he wouldn't run. That's exactly what happened so I was happy with shot placement.. although it did damage some of the meat on both shoulders. When I walked up on him, he was still alive but couldn't get up so I opted to cut his throat rather than shoot him again bc I wanted to stay as quiet as possible... and I've been taught it's better for the meat to bleed em out (anyone know if there's a science to that?).
Anyways. I got the meat off him and came home... Worked out well for a quick hunt, which is nice bc I'm used to having to plan trips ahead and drive several hours to hunt. 6.8 120 grain sst, pvs-14/3x. Young boar Didn't measure, but guessing 100 lbs ish
7F2DB609-7F5B-4412-A7ED-22A332A1D4E3_zpshxcvfziq.jpg

2AA8EFEE-1969-4CD2-A070-016AD15DDA69_zpsq3k8o4gc.jpg

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Btw do any of you Houston guys want the meat? My freezer is full.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job! Yeah bleeding them out is a good idea if you are going to eat the meat!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job. I'm convinced that it's equally important to cool the meat... in addition to bleeding them.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Nice!

Hey that is the same way I chop em up. Less stink and faster for me.
I use a hooked razor for opening the skin up, cuts quick and saves the blade for quartering the critter.
I have a small japanese saw I use to take the ribs from the top side when I want them.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good job, good hog.

I like to throw the meat on ice for several days.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I put mine in a saltwater brine, iced for 3-4 days

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
On larger hogs I soak mine in ice water with vinegar, lemon juice and or some juice for a couple days... Anything acidic.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometime use the salt, a cup per gallon/ gallon and a half, I use kosher salt. I drain after the first 24hrs then just add ice to the mixture when needed.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Challenge accepted!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I take it out I trim and then vacuum seal. I think I am going to start wrapping in freezer paper then sealing for it to last longer.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very good for an last minute deal. Way to go and thanks for posting. BANG BANG!!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
4" pvc drain pipes on the bottom of an ice chest keeps the meat out of the water. I like keeping ice on it for a few days to wash out the meat.
I usually drain the water before work and add some ice when i get to work. I fixed the ice machine that the service guy said it was not worth it to fix, so free ice for everyone as long as it keeps working. The thermal sensors are bad, so I flipped them ( hot thermistor with the cold thermistor), now the computer thinks it never gets cold enough to make ice and it never gets hot enough to melt the ice tray and drop the ice. So now it just runs by default times that are programmed and makes ice till it gets full around 400lbs of ice, been working like this 4mths now.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
See I keep the meat in the water for the brine, takes the wild taste and blood out of it along with any boar taste or smell.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hardware, I usually take the ribs when I have a skinning rack to hang em from, otherwise I shave the meat as close as possible to them. If only there was a way to get those inner loins without gutting em!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
There is a way, you just tilt them forward and go in the gap between the ribs and hips. Hardest part is just pushing the intestines down and away from were you are cutting. The more tilted they are the easier it is.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is a way, you just tilt them forward and go in the gap between the ribs and hips. Hardest part is just pushing the intestines down and away from were you are cutting. The more tilted they are the easier it is.
This would make an excellent "how to" video

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
here you go, deer the same as a hog, will still try to find a hog one